Worcester Bosch or Vaillant?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm looking to pick the brains of the gas fitters on the forum re a new boiler.

My current set up is an Ariston system boiler with a hot water storage tank. This was installed in my garage when we bought our house about 8 years ago. Unfortunately I knew less than nothing about boilers at that time and was more concerned about the cost when we had a full house to renovate!

The boiler has leaked like a sieve from early on meaning that I had to have a boiler care plan in place to cover several call outs per year. I've finally had enough of the boiler and decided to get a good quality reliable boiler.

I've been told on a few occasions that worcester Bosch are the best boilers. My in laws recently had a Vaillant boiler installed and are very happy with it.

I'm currently thinking of worcester Bosch or Vaillant and would welcome any of your thoughts on what would be best or any potential issues with either.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I would fit a Ideal Logic or ideal vogue

Worcester are over priced and over rated.

Vaillant are the market leaders

Worcester Bosch are the market leaders if you want maximum domestic hot water. Their main weakness, in common with virtually all other makes - including Ideal and Vaillant) is the use of aluminium as a primary heat exchanger which gets exceedingly hot. Worcester are dearer but not by much. (Don't compare top of the range Worcesters with top of the range Ideal or Vaillant - they are just not comparable. Of course, if you don't want 25 + litres of hot water per minute, this won't worry you!

The only boilers I know of which have a stainless steel primary heat exchanger are the Viessmann models. This will outlast the aluminium ones by many years. In fact the stainless steel heat exchanger will outlast the rest of the boiler! In fact, all boilers now seem to use the same make of secondary heat exchanger which is incredibly efficient but also incredibly prone to blockages and will probably be the first item in the boiler to break down.

Sponsored Links
Out of the two, I personally prefer vaillant models these days. IMO worcester are still carried by a strong name after producing some solid reliable boilers in the past but don't seem to have the same high standards these days.

The worcester boiler above mentioned that produces 35'c temp rise@25 litres a minuteis is a big combi boiler, irrelevant to you if your cylinder is adequately sized at the moment and you plan to keep it or upgrade it, unless you plan to connect it to a hot water storage tank also to give even more hot water.

Many boilers now have long warranties for parts and labour if installed by accredited installers and some will give an extended warranty (maybe 10 years) on the heat exchanger.

A handful I would stay away from would be ravenheat, biasi, heatline, ferroli,, ariston

Vaillant all the way ,my mob install about 400 every year.
Fitted Worcester on 3 housing schemes about 7 years ago and we've never
Installed another Worcester since.
Some folks would advise Intergas & it does look like a good piece of kit ,,,

Vaillant is my preference and that was most folks ask me for theses days..

Worcester Bosch are the market leaders if you want maximum domestic hot water. Their main weakness, in common with virtually all other makes - including Ideal and Vaillant) is the use of aluminium as a primary heat exchanger which gets exceedingly hot. Worcester are dearer but not by much. (Don't compare top of the range Worcesters with top of the range Ideal or Vaillant - they are just not comparable. Of course, if you don't want 25 + litres of hot water per minute, this won't worry you!

The only boilers I know of which have a stainless steel primary heat exchanger are the Viessmann models. This will outlast the aluminium ones by many years. In fact the stainless steel heat exchanger will outlast the rest of the boiler!

Do what :?: :!:

What a complete load load of b*ll*x. :rolleyes:

Hi sooey,

You are entitled to your opinion but it would have been more appropriate to specify which of my comments is incorrect.

I am, with difficulty, refraining from descending to your level of slobbery.

The problem is Taxes - MOST boilers DO have stainless pRimary HEX now.

Including Ideal, Atag, Vaillant, Glow worm and Ariston.

Vaillant 937 can pish all over anything other than a Highflow for hot water.

Atag A325ec can destroy any boiler of the same input (non storage) for hot water. Ugly brute it is though.

The top of the range Ideal is a rip off of the Vaillant, and a pretty unashamed one at that too.

I think you need to read up a little more mate.

Dan_Robinson";p="2771411 said:
The problem is Taxes - MOST boilers DO have stainless pRimary HEX now.

Including Ideal, Atag, Vaillant, Glow worm and Ariston.

Hi Dan,

Thank you. It looks like we both need to update our reading! I stand corrected as regards Vaillant but only the brand new (not previous models) Ideal Vogue has a stainless steel. All their others are aluminium. I have not checked the other makes you mention. My apologies to Vaillant fans

My reading is fine....its just that I don't class anything in the logic and isar/icos range as a boiler. The Vague I am simply not judging either way yet but so far all that has been bragged about of late is the soft close hinge.

;)

But then i wouldn't consider fitting an Ideal domestic boiler unless my life depended on it.

Dan, this may explain why Taxes is apparently so out of touch with the construction of current boilers!

Hi Flowboy

Thank you kind sir. I've made a note on my CV should come in useful some time (I've just had my 78th birthday!!)

A couple of points.

Hi agile,

I've made a note that you know everything about every boiler!! :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the replies!

Looks like it might have to be a Vaillant. The guy who installed my in laws boiler said that he preferred the Vaillant over the worcester Bosch as it had a stainless steel heat exchanger. Unfortunately he's just retired.

One more thing. Our system is about 8 years old. When it comes to getting the boiler replaced should the whole system be power flushed as part of the install? We had a magnaclean unit installed a few years back if that makes any difference?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back