Worcester Bosch Reset switch (again)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a Worcester Bosch 240 Combi installed 12 years ago.It has had light use as we don't use ut to run baths (we have a shower before you ask) and a really well insulated house so it retains the heat

It has been reliable until about 1 month ago when it started tripping the reset switch - no problem as we have Cover from a major UK gas company

To cut a long story short here's what they've done over numerous visits

1/replaced pressure releif valve - still no difference
2/ replaced loop pipe - still no difference
3/ replaced heat exchange - still no difference
4/replaced sensor to rest switch - still no difference
5/said it was probably scaled up £400 for basic flush - £800 for flush plus some sort of anti scale device - but they couldn't guarantee success
I've declined as I could buy a new boiler for that

Now the boiler makes a rattling/knocking noise and then trips again - they're coming again tomorrow -- can anyone make any suggestions please or is it time for a new boiler

BTW I don't intend to take out a service contract again

Sponsored Links
Now the boiler makes a rattling/knocking noise and then trips again - they're coming again tomorrow -- can anyone make any suggestions please or is it time for a new boiler
The boiler is 12 years old and is possibly at the end of it's life.
The symptoms that you have described definitely sounds water related.
Possibly a pump fault?
You state that you dont run the boiler for a bath, but does the hot water work?

What works?? Hot water, heating or neither??

Which heat exchanger did they replace??

Pump, Heat exchangers, divertor valve jammed mid position, gas valve not modulatiing for some reason, there could also be a blockage in the pipework from the heat exchanger.

This boiler is getting on a bit but there are lots of 240's out there that are still going strong. the decision for a new boiler is up to you.....although I would not be fitting a boiler that cost you £400 as you will be on here every second week in a couple of years. And if you do get a new boiler be sure to use a good installer as half the problems, yours being one, is poor installations, not correctly flushing, cleansing and inhibiting the system after the install.

We had the bath taken out a a big shower enclosure fitted so we both have a shower as my wife and myself are disabled and can't get in a bath

We only use the combi for washing hands,washing machine feed and any small amounts of water needed in the kitchen.

You can tell how much gas we use when I tell you we pay £20 a month - we don't go cold but I have always been interested in what are now called green issues - we had cavity wall insulation, double glazing and loft insulation years before most people had heard of them,I was a building surveyor before I had to change occupation following an accident.Now I am a System administrator - so I know a bit about how buildings are put together

Sponsored Links
This boiler is getting on a bit but there are lots of 240's out there that are still going strong. the decision for a new boiler is up to you.....although I would not be fitting a boiler that cost you £400 as you will be on here every second week in a couple of years. And if you do get a new boiler be sure to use a good installer as half the problems, yours being one, is poor installations, not correctly flushing, cleansing and inhibiting the system after the install.

I realise it would not be wise to get a £399 cheapie from B&Q - any recommendations would be welcome - how do I know if a company is going to install it correctly?

We used British Gas last time they have installed it and maintained it since and they never mentioned flushing it or descaling it - and never have over the life of the service contract - it was only mentioned when they couldn't fix it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back