Worcester Bosch runs at constant (low) output

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone, first post and I can't find anything on the search function.

I have just had a new WB Greenstar 8700 system boiler installed. It is controlled by an Easycontrol wireless thermostat. The plumber has been useless - installed it, switched it on and said let it run for a few days and then he would be back to commission it. I am deeply unhappy, not just because of that, but the fact the boiler makes a constant low hum which I take to be the pump, fan and burner operating at very low output. Heat eventually gets around the rads - maybe 2 - 3 hours before they are warm and only 2 or 3 are what you might call truly hot.

I have tried all the stat controls to get the boiler to increase output, and tried rebalancing the rads. Poking around in the service settings, it seems like the pump, fan and burner have oodles of extra capacity which is not being used. I know that I should be asking these questions of the plumber, but are there settings I can change that helps the boiler spool up and then as temperature is reached modulate to a more efficient setting? My last Greenstar did it from day one, but that was fitted by a really good engineer who knew his stuff. Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
If there’s a boiler issue, register it with Worcester and see if they’ll come out under the warranty. Try to engage with him again and state that you will be speaking with gas safe as your saying he’s left an uncommissioned appliance?

Boiler, pipework and some extra rads fitted by his "lad" who also fitted it to the gas. I didn't see any checks he made, but I know that last time we had a boiler, there was flue gas gesting, pressure readings etc before the boiler was handed over to us. He said he would be back this week to commission it, so I turn it off overnight just to be safe. I am a bit worried calling out a Worcester warranty visit as he hasn't done the paperwork and then the 10 year warranty might be jeopardised? But good advice and thank you. All come about because this is part of a major house refurb, and the builder gets in the trades but is not strict enough with them to make sure they do a good job. So we arent paying the trades directly or I would tell them to whistle for the dosh until the job is done properly.

In which case then Worcester probably won’t register it until it’s commissioned. Speak to your builder as he will reponsible for ensuring that the plumber is gas safe registered, and make sure it’s commissioned. As I say mention gas safe as it could be unsafe for you to use.

Sponsored Links
Why should Worcester go out to clean up the installers mess? What are the pump pressure settings set at. You could try increasing them. Have you turned weather compensation off ?

Why should Worcester go out to clean up the installers mess? What are the pump pressure settings set at. You could try increasing them. Have you turned weather compensation off ?

I didn’t mean to clean up the mess, I meant if there was an issue with the boiler itself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back