worcester bosche 28cdi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all
just fitted a new diverter valve into the above as there was no hot water unless ch was on.the old valve had deinitely got a perforated diaphragm as water has been leaking out of the top.
tried it with ch on and ch off demand and it delivered hot water to all the sinks.
3 days later it dosent seem to be supplying hot water all the time and not at all when boiler off by time switch. do i have to reset something as i had the powre off while fitting the valve
thanks for any help
danq

Sponsored Links
I cannot understand why a whole diverter valve is replaced for the sake of a diaphragm.Make sure that the switch assy is located correctly on the diverter valve.

is the plastic disc still on the end of the diaphragm pin?

hi thanks for info
disc in place ok and switch is fited correctly and works . the reason i replaced the valve instead of just the diaphragm is because i didnt want to end up on a sunday with a diaphragm that didnt fit an old valve,or as it was brass a coroded screw that wouldnt come out easily. i needed to do a replace and get the boiler running for when the boss came in cold.
i have a feeeling that the new valve is not as sensetive to the pressure as the old one,any drop in pressure seems to stop it working its all a bit hit and miss.
i regret getting this combi boiler as i still dont think this is a good boiler,5 years old and problems my old potterton is still running after 15 years.
dan

Sponsored Links
if the disc is in place and the switch is being hit every time then you need to look elsewhere.

hi thanks for info
disc in place ok and switch is fited correctly and works . the reason i replaced the valve instead of just the diaphragm is because i didnt want to end up on a sunday with a diaphragm that didnt fit an old valve,or as it was brass a coroded screw that wouldnt come out easily. i needed to do a replace and get the boiler running for when the boss came in cold.
i have a feeeling that the new valve is not as sensetive to the pressure as the old one,any drop in pressure seems to stop it working its all a bit hit and miss.
i regret getting this combi boiler as i still dont think this is a good boiler,5 years old and problems my old potterton is still running after 15 years.
dan

the bit about the new valve not being as sensitive is unbelievable!

What do you do for a living??

I fear you have mis diagnosed!

Hi, try this,, remove microswitch from divetor valve, then turn hot water tap on,, manually press microswitchs ,, does boiler come on, if so check flow of water through boiler (ie mains), if it doesn't come on prob with microswitch or pcb.... hope helps TheGasMan22

for a living i am an engineer i design make repair machines ,simple ones like boilers complicated ones like cnc machining centers,special purpose multi spidle autos. i also make spare parts for machines.
diagnosis was by several supposedly qualified boiler repair ers/installers,and also by a bosche spares supplier. i got the info and found that by cheating the micro switch the hw would work so trusted that it was the valve,as for the sensitive part of my post, i guess there is a spring return involved with the operation of the valve ,any spring of any kind will have a manufacturing tolerance that will affect its operating ranges,and i was guesing that perhaps as this valve was not originally fitted to an appliance then it may not be set up for any particular boiler and may need adjusting, but thats just the engineer in me
i still regret buying this boiler its not even manufactured well,full of cheap bits of kit o rings that fell apart when they were removed and so many sharp edges you could grate cheese

if you regret it that much get rid of it. cdi's are one of the worst boilers ever made and thankfully knocking on now. hopefully most will be getting the boot soon.

this is probably a simple problem to solve if you follow any of the above advice.

o k experts what boiler would you recomend to replace this one i gues i will just have to put it down to bad advice initially,bite the bullet and get a decent one fitted,so come on with all your years of expertise what seems to be the best and most reliable

in my opinion worcester are still the best most reliable boiler. I fit loads and have a 3% failure rate first 5 years, but everyone has their favourites!

I'd personally keep the boiler you have got. It will be between 6 and 12 years old. The only things i ever change on them is the diverter valve or expansion vessel. Both have perishable rubber parts. Worcester will fix your boiler for £215 regardless of how many parts!
B.Gas will take it on contract and fix it ( wrcester will take it on if it is less than 10 yrs old)

Good solid boiler. The stats /gas valve/pcb in your boiler are bomb proof. My only downer on this boiler is the length of time it gets hot water to the taps. No pre heat function available with this older technology.

On yours Turn the cold bulkhead (isolation valve) on the cold feed to the boiler. Open hot tap...does any water come out??

if you regret it that much get rid of it. cdi's are one of the worst boilers ever made and thankfully knocking on now. hopefully most will be getting the boot soon.

this is probably a simple problem to solve if you follow any of the above advice.

:LOL: :LOL: The cdi was and is one of the best ever combi boilers. :rolleyes:

o k experts what boiler would you recomend to replace this one i gues i will just have to put it down to bad advice initially,bite the bullet and get a decent one fitted,so come on with all your years of expertise what seems to be the best and most reliable

Dont come on here an patronize people you cheeky git. :evil:

if ime a cheeky git you are an arsehole.
i was genuinly asking peoples opinions which i value as i am not a heating engineer. if i need information iask the experts your attitude is uncalled for and probably represents the very small minority of bigots i occasionally encounter.
now thats out of the way ,
boilerdokter, sorry but i dont understand what you are saying can you explain in easy terms for me please,
thanks to you all for your efforts but as you can see i am an engineer not a boiler expert,which is why i ask the questions
thanks
dan

:LOL: :LOL: The cdi was and is one of the best ever combi boilers. :rolleyes:

:LOL: i know you fit ideals so you are used to ****e, but really come on now, everything on the bottom half of a cdi is a **** to fit and is likely to lead to everything else leaking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back