Worcester combi boiler losing pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, sorry, I now there have been similar threads but thought I would post my own specific circumstances and the investigations so far

9 Year old Worcester 38 Cdi (combi) Losing pressure over the last week. Basically I fill it in the morning to 1.5/2 bars and by bedtime (10.30 ish) it's down to zero and has to be refilled in the morning. Checked the radiators, no leaks upstairs or downstairs. Tied a small clear plastic bag to the wee copper overflow pipe, nothing going in. We are lucky enough to have decent crawlspace under the house so had a look there, no obvious leaks from the pipework or damp patches on the dirt floor. (we've had about 4 refills that have been lost so I'd expect to see something). There is a lot of verdigris on one join in the pipework directly below the boiler under the house where the pipe goes into some component (?) but it seems bone dry now (then again the heating is on now). The pressure only rises a little bit as per normal when I turn the heating on.

Did have a plumber out (due back soon) and he thought it might be the expansion vessel but when he hooked it up to a pump he said it wasn't taking much air and now thinks it might be the heat exchanger which will be costly obviously.

Just wondering what folks here thought might be the problem based on the information given. Also, is it worth getting the heat exchanger replaced or is it better to get a new boiler?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
If the heat exchanger was leaking you would have water everywhere...

Is the copper overflow actually connected to the PRV - the pressure release valve or does it just do the condensate drain....there might be a tundish for the prv to drain into eg

1669459876594.png

Have you bleed the radiators when cold ? Air in the rads plays havoc with the pressure of a system.

If you can leave the boiler unused for a day ,close the flow and return valves on the boiler.
If pressure drops the loss is within the boiler.
If pressure doesn't drop ,when opening the two valves causes immediate pressure drop the leak is on the system ( pipes/ rads)

Reactions: CBW
Turns out it was indeed a cracked main heat exchanger. Luckily enough our plumber knew that even though the boiler was only warrantied for 5 yeas, the heat exchanger had a 10 year warranty. Excellent customer service from Worcester/Bosch, out the next day, flat rate of about £190 for 3 hours work, did a couple of extra things to the boiler as well which is now as good as new and no quibbling about the boiler service record. Got lucky for once!

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
Turns out it was indeed a cracked main heat exchanger. Luckily enough our plumber knew that even though the boiler was only warrantied for 5 yeas, the heat exchanger had a 10 year warranty. Excellent customer service from Worcester/Bosch, out the next day, flat rate of about £190 for 3 hours work, did a couple of extra things to the boiler as well which is now as good as new and no quibbling about the boiler service record. Got lucky for once!
If the heat exchanger is under warranty, how come you paid out? Or was this to your plumber?

If the heat exchanger was leaking you would have water everywhere...
Nope. If the main heat exchanger was leaking (as it has been confirmed) it will usually go down the condensate pipe. If the outside of the heat exchanger was leaking then your statement would be valid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back