Worcester Danesmoor 15/19 smelling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am aware this is not the first post of its kind!

Danesmoor 15/19 Room Sealed balanced flue - 15 years old or so. Serial number might indicate age - 970711066. Model HPJ.19ROO

Just had kerosine delivered and as has happened previously the boiler started smelling. Had a look on here last night and today did a bit of investigating.

Looked for external leaks and confirmed this is not the problem - all unions & pipes completely dry.

Then I tried to determine how "room sealed" the thing actually is. I removed the push on cover and placed a smoke match in with the burner and quickly snapped the cover back in place. There was no obvious leaks of smoke but I guess a smoke match does not make enough smoke although there was a strong smell of smoke in the room but this could be due the match starting to smoke before I got the cover fitted!.

Having had the boiler switched off for 6 hours I undid the 2 retaining screws and removed the burner to check to see if the solanoid valve was leaking but everything completely dry.

However I noticed through the hole where the burner fits there was a lot (about half an inch) of debris covering the floor of the burning chamber. Removed top plate and gave the chamber a good clean & hoover out replacing the baffles correctly after.

What else is there to check?

Perhaps the smell could be the sediment in the tank being stirred up due to delivery of fuel. This suggests the filter does not arrest all particles?

Mike

Sponsored Links
Does the boiler smell all the time or just when being used?
What burner is fitted to the boiler? Probably a Bentone 2011. The smell could be coming from the pump shaft seal, but as it is hot whilst running, the liquid evaporates. Run you fingers around the joint between the pump and motor.

Could be a dirty nozzle or a leak on the burner to boiler gasket if it has one.I sometimes put a 2mm gasket on them as wind sometimes makes them smell when it's in the wrong direction.Bob

Just a thought if this happens after a fill and has done this before it could be head pressure in the tank putting too much oil through your oil pump and the boiler running too rich.Bob

Sponsored Links
Just a thought if this happens after a fill and has done this before it could be head pressure in the tank putting too much oil through your oil pump and the boiler running too rich.Bob

Danfoss oil pumps are designed to operate up to 2bar inlet pressure....Unlikely that they have in excess of 25m head !!! o_O
The pressure reg in the pump regulates nozzle pressure.

Yes but I've had a riello pump fill the combustion chamber with oil what if the pumps letting a bit through and it's making it run a bit richer than normal?Bob

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back