Worcester Flue Location - one for the RGI's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Firstly, this is not some work I am trying to do myself, I have a RGI who has been out to the property, taken some pictures and emailed them to Worcester technical, should get a reply within 24 hours but a week later and lots of chasing, still no reply.

Please see below picture, row of cottages all with single story extensions on the rear

House next door has a vertical flue from their boiler

I had hoped to install the new boiler in our property upstairs, so the flue would appear where the red dot is

Now looking in the Worcester manual (below) (which is what my RGI spent ages studying)

Do the flues need to be 120 or 150 cm apart ? (originally my RGI said 120 cm, but speaking to Worcester they thought 150 cm)

Neither are ideal, as at the red dot, even with the gradient for the condense to run back, it's only about 105 cm

One alternative is to also have a vertical flue going through the house roof, but my RGI said I would also need a roofer, as he wouldn't be comfortable installing, access would be an issue due to the rear extension

Other option is some internal bends to move it further along a wall, then out, but again not easy

Appreciate any thoughts from registered installers,

(my RGI is Worcester accredited, so will get the 7 years warranty)

Thanks, Paul

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    417.9 KB · Views: 171
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 156
Sponsored Links
Flue can be drilled from the inside if going through the wall, so not so bad, getting on that lower roof isn't too bad as RGI was up there with a tape measure

Thanks for the reply though

Firstly, I am not a RGI. However I do have a similar issue where a vertical flue will fall foul of minimum clearances, and I am trying to think outside the box whilst at the same time staying within the law.

One potential solution for you, however unsightly it may be (and as long as it is legal, which you need to clarify yourself), is to put a 90 degree flue bend (not plume kit) so the flue takes an upward turn after coming out horizontally from the building, then extend it up a few cm, then finish it off with vertical flue kit fittings, then treat it as if its a vertical flue. Vertical flues have different minimum clearances to horizontal flues, and I believe two vertical flues only need to be a minimum of 600mm apart.

Worcester Bosch do allow flues to run externally, so the above is a potential solution: https://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/p.../faqs/all-faqs/can-i-run-boiler-flues-outside
Please see below thread where WB have confirmed this in writing:
Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/flue-run-externally.524638/#ixzz6oRh9Pj00
"We can confirm that the Worcester condensfit gas flues can be ran externally. They are UV stable. All external joints should be suitably weather sealed."

You may have an issue with supporting the flue, which you have to overcome somehow, although there shouldn't be a lot of it to support, if at all. You may just have enough space immediately below the guttering to screw a bracket to secure the flue pipe in a vertical position.

Again, I am not a RGI, just someone trying to grapple with a similar type of issue. Please ensure you get professional advice to clarify everything I have said in this post should you wish to use any of the information I have posted.

Kind regards,

rocket

Sponsored Links
Hi Rocket,

Many thanks for your comments, I had already discussed a similar idea about running some flue externally before turning it (but hadn't thought about then going vertical)

I think it might look a bit rough - but it's an idea,

I have emailed Worcester Bosch myself, as my RGI still hasn't had a confirmed answer re 120cm or 150cm - that would be a start,

Paul

Many thanks for everyone's input, I have also had the below confirmation from Worcester Bosch today

Dear Paul

Thank you for your enquiry.

The distance from a vertical flue to a horizontal flue is 1200 this is the required separation. We have included the image from the installation manual as well as one from our newest boiler manual that may be clearer.

Please be aware a horizontal flue should be 300mm adjacent to the boundary and would need to be installed 200mm below the gutter or 25mm below the gutter if the flue extends past by 100mm.

I boiler

Attachments

• 6.png
    6.png
    7.8 KB · Views: 81
  • 7.png
    7.png
    10 KB · Views: 93

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back