Worcester green Star 18ri boiler loud noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My neighbours have an issue with their Worcester green Star 18ri boiler.

It's making a high pitched noise sounds a bit like a drill and is really loud, I can hear it in my house almost like its physically in it.

I haven't been round their, it's a single mum her elderly mother and 2 kids living there. I've just been trying to help by sending pictures back and fourth.

It's really difficult to help as bless her doesn't know what she is looking at and was getting flustered.

She's managed to stop the noise by turning a switch off in the airing cupboard, which I believe is the power switch to the boiler.

I asked if the boiler was heating the water and she said she believed so, but wasn't sure.

The water pump she said wasn't making any noise and didn't feel any vibrations to suggest it was running. (It's a seperate pump looks like an old red grundfos type)

I think the issue is the pump not working and causing the system to kettle through the vent pipe. However I would have thought the boiler would have an overheat cut out on it?

She's only recently moved in and spent a couple of thousand fixing the bodges done by the previous owners (keen diy'ers without a clue and a that'll do attitude)

I'm keen to help her out if I can, I've not gone round there as yet as want to limit risk as much as possible.

Sponsored Links
Could be a pump or lack of servicing potentially.
You need to turn it on and feel the pump to see if it’s vibrating slightly.

mans see if there’s a flashing blue light on the boiler. Then look up the code as the flashes will mean something

Thanks, I'll have to pop round there at the weekend.

I would have thought though that the boiler would cut out due to over heating if the pump had failed

Sounds to me like it could be a float valve? Is it definitely the boiler?

Sponsored Links
It would buy it would start back up when cooled.
Check the pump is working fine if so you need a engineer as there’s too much stuff that could create noises and a person who’s experienced needs to hear it.
If the boilers not set right on the gas or a flue terminal has blown or worse this can create very deep loud rumbling ect

Sounds to me like it could be a float valve? Is it definitely the boiler?

lol I keep taking what people post for a certain like they know exactly what they’re on about.
Be funny if it turned out to be that

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
lol I keep taking what people post for a certain like they know exactly what they’re on about.
Be funny if it turned out to be that

Only reason I’m saying is, before all the combi’s were installed in our properties, customers used to tell me that the boiler was on the landing, meaning the cylinder :LOL:

Cheers.

The noise was loudest in the airing cupboard and loft and loft, and I could hear it more upstairs in my house also.

However when the boiler was turned off it stopped, they have kept it off since,

I wasn't sure if the boiler would just cut out completely on overheat and throw a fault code.

I'll don some protective gear and pop round there at the weekend.

As luck would have it they have solar water heaters and the weather has been ideal for this the past couple of days so they do at least have hot water.

• Thanks
they decided to wait for a plumber to become available,

turns out it was the circulating pump for the solar heaters was not working, think it was a combination of lack of servicing (the heating system was installed by the previous owners rather poorly) and a really poor quality grundfos knock off being fitted.

they have decided not to bother with the solar panels and have had the electrics removed from the boiler.

• Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back