Worcester Greenstar 28i over pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a 4 year old Worcester Greenstar 28i boiler that we tried the CH on for the first time this winter the night before last - it has been supplying hot water fine since fitting
The pressure gauge rose up to 3.5 bar before I chicken out and killed it
My questions are what is wrong with the boiler and is there a failsafe pressure release valve that should have opened at what pressure and where does the excess water drain to ?

Sponsored Links
The pressure release valve should lift at 3 bar, and the excess water should discharge through a pipe outside - usually turned back in on itself towards the wall.
I would imagine that the air pressure in the expansion vessel could be low....
John :)

Which means a new expansion vessel ?
or is it somehow possible to top up the air pressure ?

To check the EV Steve, there should be no pressure in the water system at all. Bleed the pressure out from a rad valve - it takes a while but its foolproof. Leave the rad valve open until later.
Then, put a car type tyre gauge on the schrader valve at the top of the EV and check that its around 10 psi (for a guide).
Pump it up with air from a foot pump or similar, close the rad valve and repressurise the system via the filling loop.
If water is present when you check the EV's pressure, then its certainly goosed.

Sponsored Links
To check the EV Steve, there should be no pressure in the water system at all. Bleed the pressure out from a rad valve - it takes a while but its foolproof. Leave the rad valve open until later.
Then, put a car type tyre gauge on the schrader valve at the top of the EV and check that its around 10 psi (for a guide).
Pump it up with air from a foot pump or similar, close the rad valve and repressurise the system via the filling loop.
If water is present when you check the EV's pressure, then its certainly goosed.

If we need a new EV - How much are they ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back