Worcester greenstar heatslave 18/25 external

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have External greenstar heatslave 18/25, the boiler is 6 years old and well overdue for a service. Although never previously had any problems, recently a couple have come to light.

1, Sell of Kerosene when the boilers not fired up, once fired up smell goes away. there are no leaks on the fuel line or burner. May require a new nozzle I,m thinking.

2, drain off pipe from the pressure relief valve was dripping, I opened the pressure relief valve to let off some pressure ( although not high ) then it would not stop running for a few minutes but gone back to a drip now, pressure at present between 1.5 and 2 bar. but boiler is running ok at moment.
would welcome any help or comments.

HNY to all.

Sponsored Links
If it's the condensing range of Heatslaves then I pity the poor bloke who walks into "service" it.

You cannot neglect these boilers due to the baffle arrangement and if your PRV is blowing then your water jacket may start to bow. This combined with a few years build up of sulphur is gonna make baffle removal more than interesting!

Quite a few oilies are not prepared to work on these especially without a full service history

Sponsored Links
I can only echo the previous comments. The smell is unburnt fuel, which, if you have to press the reset several times, can explode in the combustion chamber when the boiler fires. So I pity the technician you persuade to carry out the work, which will now be extended due to the lack of attention an doubtless soot and sulphur scale which will make baffle removal almost impossible. And all on an outside boiler in January.

Andy and Oilhead I appreciate both of your comments , both of which kind of make me feel like I,m the villain. Truth is the guy that fitted the boiler never made good his promises to return and service the boiler as agreed. That said I could of looked elsewhere so I accept that responsibility. The boiler is a condensing boiler, the two problems are not related as the pressure relief valve only started dripping when I overcharged the system. Oily, the boiler starts and runs fine at present with no locking out and no resetting required. I would though not wish to put any technician in danger of getting hurt and would be totally upfront with any that I speak with. Once again thanks for your honest comments.
DG.

Andy and Oilhead I appreciate both of your comments , both of which kind of make me feel like I,m the villain. Truth is the guy that fitted the boiler never made good his promises to return and service the boiler as agreed. That said I could of looked elsewhere so I accept that responsibility. The boiler is a condensing boiler, the two problems are not related as the pressure relief valve only started dripping when I overcharged the system. Oily, the boiler starts and runs fine at present with no locking out and no resetting required. I would though not wish to put any technician in danger of getting hurt and would be totally upfront with any that I speak with. Once again thanks for your honest comments.
DG.

Andy / Oilhead, the baffles you refer to, are they the ones in the combustion chamber or the secondary heat exchanger. Rather than put anyone else at risk is this something I could do i.e clean the baffles and remove the soot.
Thanks, DG.

They are in both. It is not necessarily putting anyone 'at risk', but best done by someone who knows what they are doing to avoid damaging theunit, especially the secondary heat exchanger.

The secondary heat exchanger baffles should be ok.

It's the primary heat exchanger baffles which sit vertically in slots and are held in place by a retaining clip.

Theoretically, when the clips are removed the baffles simply fall down into the base of the combustion chamber......

Going back to your OP, the smell of kerosene when boiler not working could be down to a leaking pump shaft seal. This will not be immediately apparent to an untrained eye, but if you run your fingers round the joint of the pump and motor after it has been switched off for a while you will probably get them wet. If so, a new oil pump is required, and possibly a new motor or bearings after you've stopped 'lubricating' it with kerosene.

Andy / Oilhead,

This morning took the top panel off the cabinet to get a better look inside, found kerosene dripping from the burner oil pump. took burner off so I could get to the pump easier, took filter cover off , filter clean as a whistle, tightened up pipework , put it back together still dripping. Dripping from a nut with like a jet screw in the middle. ordered another oil pump. Whilst burner was off took a look in the combustion chamber, very clean little or no soot. will order a new prv as that is still dripping.

Thanks again to both of you for good advise. DG.

If prv is dripping then I would also check the charge if your expansion vessel.

Just replacing the prv may not be dealing with the underlying cause of why the prv has lifted in the first place

Have you got all the necessary test equipment to correctly commission the new oil pump?

Last edited:
Hi Andy,
Looking for local Oftec technician to fit the parts and service the boiler.
DG.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back