Worcester Greenstar Heatslave. Maybe a Daft question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently had a Worcester Greenstar Heatslave II 18/25 External Combination Boiler Oil ErP installed which is controlled by a salus it 500

My issue is, When i set up the timers for switching on and off the central heating and the hot water, i found that the hot water would just come on even when the timers were set to off and even off fully and not on timers.

I thought their must be a issue with the salus control and i contacted salus who informed me that salus it 500 plus had no control over the hot water side of the combi boiler and that the combi would only fire up when turning on the hot water tap.
I informed the engineer that the combi boiler was starting up on its own even if no tap was turned on and that the heating and hot water was set to off, He informed me that this was not possible because on the new generation combi boilers, that don't have a internal tank to heat up unlike the old combie boilers and it just heats the water up in the line.

Can anyone advise me on this please or give me a better understanding how thse new boilers work. Its just we don't really want to external oil combi firing through the night.

Our old combi was a grandee boiler and if the timer was set to off, it was off until the time it was needed or put onto manual, this resulted in waiting 15 minutes for the old combi to heat up from cold.

Sponsored Links
Oil combis do have a heatstore tank which needs to be hot before the boiler produces hot water. Gas combis on the wall don’t. They fire on tap demand. There may still be a link in the boiler h/w on if the electrician wired it as per gas combi perhaps. Ie no hot water control required.

Thank you for your reply, I thought there there must be a water tank to heat up.

It looks like the hot water side is not connected to the salus that's inside the combi housing. I might be better asking the installer to come back and check the wiring because I must be able to have control of the hot water section because if I go away on holiday, I don't want the combi running everyday and the resonrfor getting the salus was to be able to switch on the central heating before coming home.

Regards salus, looks like he was fobbing me off.

Regarding the salus guy. He just assumed normal gas combi principle. So was not being dishonest.

Sponsored Links
I would get your installer to check his wiring. HW off should be off, not even heating up the heatstore.
The it500 has an option for controlling hot water, so maybe thishasnot been disabled.

Last edited:
I will speak to the installer and get it sorted out. If it's a simple task, maybe I could check it myself

I would get your installer to check his wiring. HW off should be off, not even heating up the heatstore.
The it500 has an option for controlling hot water, so maybe thishasnot been disabled.
That’s what I said. Diddlie

Looks like i was supplied with the wrong unit, I was supplied with a Salus it500BM which is heating only and not hot water.
I have to say, i spoke with Worchester, They just didn't want to know telling me it was Salus at blame and that's even before explaining. It was salus who informed me that i was supplied with the incorrect unit and the heating engineer is going to sort it out for me.

Thank you for your help and replies

That’s what I said. Diddlie
It isn't what you said. There is only one link in the boiler, and that is over the room thermostat connections, which would have been removed when the Salus was installed. The DHW is controlled separately. I think you will find that the gas Greenstars are also the same, as they use the same basic programmer.

Hi . This is still on going between the heating engineer, Plumbers merchant and Salus.

I have just been told that any wireless internet based control must be hard wired between the combi boiler and control unit in the house according to Salus and the heating engineer is saying that its not possible with the outside combie boiler. , I do seem to get different stories on this, When i spoke to salus, They informed me that i only need to exchange the receiver on the Combi boiler in order to control the hot water and central heating via the internet.

The Plumbers merchant is now looking at other makes that can be completely ran via WIFI and no need for hard wired. Just to remind you, I was given the Salus IT500BM which will only control the CH.

Thank you for any help

Why can't the Salus IT500 be wired into the boiler. It is a Wifi/Internet 2 channel programmer, with Switched Lives for Heating and Hot Water. Worcester Live Supply to Receiver Common, and Heating Switched Live to Heating Input & Hot Water Switched Live to Hot Water Input on Boiler. Remove the Live links to Central Heating & Hot Water Inputs.

The BM is only one channel and will only run on the CH, Sometimes you feel fobbed off, The engineer saying that it cant be hard wired but managed to get a 240 cable going to the boiler , I have been told different things by salus, Ebery technician tells me something different. The only thing that i want is to control my heating and hot water if i am away on holiday, But i cant even control the hot water when i am at home and its running 24/7 when we only use the hot water a couple of times a day, so wasting oil

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back