Worcester heatslave 9.24 gas valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all,
Following my thread on 24/11/07 //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=112072
, I have carried out more test on the gas valve of tmy boiler, I switch off the pilot and all the gas appliances in the house, took the gas meter reading , the three digits on the right hand side of my gas meter, went to work, came back eight hours later, have NOT noticed any movement in the gas meter whatsoever as appose to yesterday when I left the pilot on the gas meter moved 408 of 999 i.e approximately 0.5 gas unit for the same period of time (i.e. 8 hours) And there is no gas small in the house at all. I lit the polite and I could see the fleshing flame of the main burner coming on after a approximately 1 minute. This gives me an indication that the gas valve let some gas out when the thermocouple warms up. If that is the case does it mean the thermocouple is plying up instead of the gas valve Itself?

Sponsored Links
One more thing, if the thermocouple is playing up, why the Gas valve letting Gas to the main burner, the thermocouple should instruct the Gas valve to let the Gas out to the polite only.

Only competent people like us RGIs should be playing around with gas valves. You could easily cause a serious incident if you don't know exactly what you're doing, which you plainly don't. Best to call in a gas boiler engineer.

Chris
I understand what you are saying and would not have the courage to replace the gas valve myself. I have already been in touch with three local Gas engineers and all of them seem to think it is the gas valve as I initially thought. In fact, one of them suggested that he is free on Friday to replace the gas valve and I have to let him know by Thursday afternoon so he can pick up the part on Friday on his way to my home. All I am after here is an advice as I do not want to keep changing parts that are working. I still believe, it is to do with the pilot warning up the thermocouple and somehow the gas valve letting gas to the main burner, do you think is the gas valve going faulty or something else simpler?

thanks

Sponsored Links
From your description it sounds like the gas valve letting by. No other explanation for gas seeping through to the burners when there's no call for heat. Expensive repair though. It's an old boiler so you should ask yourself if it's worth trying to keep it going.

The gas is escaping from the main burner array where there is no call for DHW or CH, but only in small quantity, and only when the pilot is on. Hence, I can see the short flashing flames. No gas coming out from the main burner when the pilot is off. For this reason I believe the gas valve is not faulty. If it is faulty it would let the gas out with and without the pilot on.

No gas coming out from the main burner when the pilot is off. For this reason I believe the gas valve is not faulty. If it is faulty it would let the gas out with and without the pilot on.

Well that just demonstrates that you dont understand how gas valves work!

Another reason to call a competent RGI.

Tony

So, you do think the gas valve has gone and I shall go a head let the guy change it on Friday!!!!

The gas valve is faulty. Get it replace by a CORGI engineer.

Because why pilot light go out, it close the gas valve off completed sealed, whenever you calling for heat or not, it part of safely valve. When pilot light is on, the safely valve stay open, gas go through to electric valve which open or close when calling for heat, that is faulty and letting gas past. As it all in one part, I get that replaced as soon as possible.

So, you do think the gas valve has gone and I shall go a head let the guy change it on Friday!!!!

I think that you should let the CORGI diagnose the gas valve as faulty himself!

We dont like to be told what the fault is. When it isn't it just causes arguments.

Tony

Sandanny,
Many thanks for the explanation/clarification and advice it is clear to me what needed to done.

Dear all,
Many thanks for the advice, the gas valve has been replaced, problem solved.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back