Worcester Highflow 550 -Any good?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Just moved into a 5 bedroom house and want to install a new combi boiler.
Understand this one is supposed to be as powerfull/efficient as combis get??

I currently have 2 bathrooms (1 with electric shower) and 14 rads but want covert all bedrooms to onsuite over a period of time.

My question is will this model do the trick or do I need to look at something else? I would prefer to stick with a combi for efficiently, ease of system maintanenace, avoiding tanks in the attic etc.

I want avoid fitting additional electric showers to keep cost down.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I fitted one of these to replace a 400.

It is very heavy of course and solidly built.

It does what it says but reverts to a standard combi output flow rate when the store runs out which is after a few minutes. Only good for filling a bath!

Fo those who dont know it has a store of about 60 litres (?) which is in the return from the plate HE.

Its a very simple principle and dont tell Worcester but is an easy DIY way to turn any combi into a storage combi!

I can see little benefit in fitting a 550 unless its replacing a floor mounting boiler.

There is no attempt to make the 550 an easy replacement for a 400. The pipework is completely different for example. I think they were trying to come up with a better design rather than an easy replacement.

Sponsored Links
Surely the points being missed, it sounds like this house will end up with 5 en-suites and 1 bathroom, No Combi can supply that, Not one, system boiler and unvented is the way to go, if each en-suite has an electric shower then maybe a combi but that would be the only way

He does not understand that even 16 li/min will only supply one hot outlet well !

Nor that his mains supply is unlikely to supply six bathrooms all at the same time.

Thats why he should be engaging a good heating engineer to advise rather than muddling on by himself.

Tony

Thanks all for comments.

I curently have a Gloworm floorstander , 10 years old.

If a combi isn't sufficient for the job, what replacement system boiler (unvented) would be the best opion?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back