Work Gloves Recommendations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone recommend some gloves for general building work around the home? Once's which will last for more than a couple of weeks before they tear between your thumb and index finger and be thin enough to be able to pick screws up.

Does anything good exist around the couple of pound per pair price mark? Are £20+ 'construction' gloves (such as these) worth the money if being used for everything from handling blocks and timber and clearing rubble?

Sponsored Links
Can anyone recommend some gloves for general building work around the home? Once's which will last for more than a couple of weeks before they tear between your thumb and index finger and be thin enough to be able to pick screws up.

Does anything good exist around the couple of pound per pair price mark? Are £20+ 'construction' gloves worth the money if being used for everything from handling blocks and timber and clearing rubble?
I think you're asking too much from a single pair of gloves, so no "One size fits all" solutions from me! I'm a joiner so for me the glove of choice is a fingerless glove with a thin leather palm. Being fingerless I can actually feel screws when I pick them up and unlike thin rubber/nitrile gloves move fingers won't get strangled when driving screws should one or two screws have sharps on the edges of the heads (I've had this happen a few times and now refuse to wear full-finger gloves for joinery tasks, regardless of what the H&S Gestapo say on some jobs). Instead I wear deWalt fingerless gloves at about £17 to £18 (discounted) which isn't cheap especially as I only get 12 to 16 weeks full-time use out of them (I would emphasise that as being 50 hours a week, full-time work, so probably several years in the hands of a DIYer), but they keep my hands clean and have prevented nasty splinter injuries and glass/knife cuts on more than a few occasions - Silverline do a cheaper knock-off version which is very similar, but which don't last as long (I've had 10 to 12 weeks out of them). Good enough for DIY work, though. For rough or wet work I just carry a pair of rubber dipped cotton Grippa gloves which were under £2 from Toolstation but they are just too thick for handling screws. This is the type of glove often issued to site labourers and brickies

Have a look at http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/24-PAIRS-...OI_ProtectiveGear_RL&var=&hash=item2a287888ad

I use this sort of glove and will generally get a full week out of a pair. I'm quite tough on gloves as I'm a heating engineer.
I quite like them, for mixed work, and its also what they use on the assembly line at work.

For a lot of work (had a crack at plasterboarding this week, for instance) I dont wear gloves, although I had a pair of the above on when hacking the old ceiling down.

If im working on something oily (car) or doing woodwork with epoxu i just use plain nitral gloves.

If it summer and I want hand protection I use some cheap 'rigger gloves' as per the link below, cheap enough you can havea few pairs on the go, and breathable.

Ive then also got some long sleaved welding gaunlets for welding, but also find them useful for odd other jobs where you want max protection.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-Pairs-...=UK_BOI_ProtectiveGear_RL&hash=item20c21d481b

Daniel

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
DeWalt fingerless here too.

Once 'worn in' you hardly notice them. Very hard wearing and washable.

For general shifting/digging/grunt work then bog standard site gloves.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back