Where can I buy some Reasonably priced Decent work gloves?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm after the good fitting/lightweight /durable half leather gloves which seems a real deficit in shops or are just crazy expensive at £10+ a pair.
Not interested in those cheap poundland stupid gripper gloves which are so bulky and useless that you can't do anything with them and provides no protection to hand and wears out super fast- for some reason every store seems to stock them however!

something like this:
81kIaxES4YL._SL1500_.jpg

or
Free-Shipping-Hot-Sale-Grain-Pigskin-font-b-Womens-b-font-font-b-Leather-b-font.jpg

those are good fitting, lasts ages, are thin enough but provides good protection ,comfortable enough to wear all day and can easily pick up small objects/screws without hassle.
I have bought stuff like that in past for I think around £2.5-£3 a pair but I can't seem to find any place that even sells them for that price now. the only good work gloves I see starts from £13+ which is just outrageous for work gloves.
What do you use and can recommend?

Sponsored Links
I think you're expecting too much. Either pay for good ones and keep a cheap pair for dirty / rough work.

I use shows gloves which are pricey at about £5 each pair but even with landscaping and paving work they last a couple of weeks.

I had bought loads of gloves like that in past in some local farmer shop I think for those prices... , they were not marketed as something super-duper cool- specially made for well-skilled tradesman they just had a name - work gloves :D
Once they go in to a DIY shed and get a packaging out of a sudden they charge £10 for the same gloves, funny thing is people will still pay the £10 because there's no competition..

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
think mine were dearer than that - near 20 - but I take them off before anything to rough so as not to ruin them lol

think mine were dearer than that - near 20 - but I take them off before anything to rough so as not to ruin them lol
yeah that's the thing, If I had to pay that much for a pair of gloves I wouldn't use them as well- but that beats their purpose.
I think you can already buy some really nice brand stylish leather/wool lined gloves for that money, why do they charge so much for just basic work gloves I will never understand. Oh wait.. I know.. just because they can as people will still buy them :D

I just get the yellow and red b&q leather gloves. They're made down to a price so they're not luxury, but they fit well if you Try a few on and they save my delicate hands from those rough bricks and blocks!

For the past few years, I have used nitrile coated gloves which have become more commonly available. These give great dexterity and good protection, and last a long time. From 70p in bulk on eBay.

Much better than any of the various bulky suede gloves, and it means that I wear them all the time now, rather than infrequently as with bulky gloves.

For the past few years, I have used nitrile coated gloves which have become more commonly available. These give great dexterity and good protection, and last a long time. From 70p in bulk on eBay.

Much better than any of the various bulky suede gloves, and it means that I wear them all the time now, rather than infrequently as with bulky gloves.

Yeah I'm not looking for the bulky ones either.. those suck big time, however so does suck those cheap 70p nitrile gloves!
The ones in my pictures, if decently made aren't bulky and are much comfortable than your 70p ones as well.

Yeah I'm not looking for the bulky ones either.. those suck big time, however so does suck those cheap 70p nitrile gloves!
The ones in my pictures, if decently made aren't bulky and are much comfortable than your 70p ones as well.

The ones I use are very close fitting and the palm coating is a thick shiney rubber type and not the matt version which wear out within a day.

I just use the cheapos and expect them to go through on the index finger after around 4 days work depending on whether you're handling masonary.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321526302707

Being so cheap I have multiple pairs on the go so if they get wet/dirty I chuck them in a bucket then wash them once a month with a hose put them on the line. Also means you never struggle to find a pair.

Whoever starts selling them as a set with one left hand and two right hand, instead of pairs, will be a rich man!

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I have loads of left ones in my van

I wear the thin blue rubber ones and the cheap thick red ones for rougher stuff.

I just use the cheapos and expect them to go through on the index finger after around 4 days work depending on whether you're handling masonary.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321526302707

Being so cheap I have multiple pairs on the go so if they get wet/dirty I chuck them in a bucket then wash them once a month with a hose put them on the line. Also means you never struggle to find a pair.

Whoever starts selling them as a set with one left hand and two right hand, instead of pairs, will be a rich man!

I have actually been caught in shop seperating pairs and buying just 4 left hand ones :( had to go back and take the correct pairs due to my ''mistake'', ''luckily'' the cashier spotted that I have wrong set of gloves so I don't end up with just 4 left hand ones due to my ''mistake''
nxMBqb4.gif

Those PU gloves last about a day when you are picking up blocks, the middle finger wears through fairly quick, they where £11 for 24 pairs. They are good for other stuff though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back