Work Guarantee

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need some roof repairs, which are fairly simple repairs, however quotes are for completely stripping roof and replacing and are astronomical , , am being told the work would be guaranteed for at least ten years ,
How does a roofer guarantee that he will still be in business or be capable of repairing a roof in 9 1/2 years time
Sounds like a con to me .

Sponsored Links
am being told the work would be guaranteed for at least ten years ,
How does a roofer guarantee that he will still be in business or be capable of repairing a roof in 9 1/2 years time.
You don't really understand the guarantee.
A roof will sustain ordinary wear and tear and damage fom strong winds, which you will have to stump up. Like car tyres or winscreen wipers, exhausts etc. However, the products he uses i.e. the tiles, felt, batten, lead etc, will carry on doing their job and last minimum of ten years if fitted correctly.

Warranty and guarantee mean different things.

services must be performed with reasonable skill and care and materials free from defect. You have 6 years to prove otherwise.

Any additional warranty is basically insurance and that will be down to the terms. As long as this is a proper policy, then it has value over the statutory rights. Particularly given the financial risk of recovery against a sole trader or small business.

if it’s a personal guarantee, then it’s pretty worthless

Sponsored Links
Warranty and guarantee mean different things.

services must be performed with reasonable skill and care and materials free from defect. You have 6 years to prove otherwise.

Any additional warranty is basically insurance and that will be down to the terms. As long as this is a proper policy, then it has value over the statutory rights. Particularly given the financial risk of recovery against a sole trader or small business.

if it’s a personal guarantee, then it’s pretty worthless

As you say if its a personal guarantee its worthless , regarding having it insured would be limited to a certain number of years life span i.e. Ten Years, after that anything would be a bonus,
I forgot to mention this is actually a flat roof (lean to at rear of property ) When I mention EPDM rubber Roofing the roofers seem to shy away stipulating Felting .

As you say if its a personal guarantee its worthless , regarding having it insured would be limited to a certain number of years life span i.e. Ten Years, after that anything would be a bonus,
I forgot to mention this is actually a flat roof (lean to at rear of property ) When I mention EPDM rubber Roofing the roofers seem to shy away stipulating Felting .
Firestone rubber are the manufacturers of EPDM, they used to have a list of approved contractors, to be approved you had to do their installation course.
I did their course about 15 years ago, back then if an approved contractor was doing a roof above a certain size firestone could issue the client with a guarantee.
Don't know whether that is still the case though but EPDM if properly installed will last a lot longer than 10 years.

https://www.firestonebpe.co.uk/en/products/roofing/rubbercover-epdm

Last edited:
Firestone rubber are the manufacturers of EPDM, they used to have a list of approved contractors, to be approved you had to do their installation course.
I did their course about 15 years ago, back then if an approved contractor was doing a roof above a certain size firestone could issue the client with a guarantee.
Don't know whether that is still the case though but EPDM if properly installed will last a lot longer than 10 years.

https://www.firestonebpe.co.uk/en/products/roofing/rubbercover-epdm

Re the Firestone guarantee that now makes sense , I was going to do the work myself, this time last year stripped off the felt etc and reboarded the roof applied waterproof compound to boarding all joints sealed , due to other Health problems finishing the job was supposed to be the spring this year, but then the lock down occured ,decided to get roofers in to finish ( I estimated cost about £5.000,easily weeks work two men, they should make a grand each ) the roofers are saying they want to start back at stage one , strip the roof boarding off again and reboard and that is part of their ten year guarantee that it will be watertight .
As I see it once the sheeting is rolled out and laid down that should be watertight (better than the tarp Sheets at the moment) for more than 10 years .

Re the Firestone guarantee that now makes sense , I was going to do the work myself, this time last year stripped off the felt etc and reboarded the roof applied waterproof compound to boarding all joints sealed , due to other Health problems finishing the job was supposed to be the spring this year, but then the lock down occured ,decided to get roofers in to finish ( I estimated cost about £5.000,easily weeks work two men, they should make a grand each ) the roofers are saying they want to start back at stage one , strip the roof boarding off again and reboard and that is part of their ten year guarantee that it will be watertight .
As I see it once the sheeting is rolled out and laid down that should be watertight (better than the tarp Sheets at the moment) for more than 10 years .

The big problem with EPDM is that it is available to non professionals, which means it can end up in the hands of cowboys.

I did my garden cabin last year -35 square metres in EPDM.

I also took down a shed earlier in the year at my Dads house -he had covered the roof 20 years ago in EPDM -well I can say it was in perfect nick still. In fact I undid it carefully and have kept the sheet for a log store in my garden.

Have you had a price for a different covering, one that is only available to contractors certified by the manufacturers -like single ply sarnafil.

Sponsored Links
Back