Work on Menvier alarm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking for a little advice.

I have a Menvier TS690 alarm which has two Netlcd keypads connected to it.
I have the engineer code.

I need to do two tasks relating to the alarm:

1. Change the mains supply cable.
2. Move one of the keypads from one side of a door frame to the other, which, although it's only a short distance from the control panel, is going to involve putting in a longer cable.

The two tasks don't have to be done at the same time.

Am I best disconnecting both the mains and the battery to do these tasks?

How can I prevent the external bell going off if I take a while doing either task?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
As long as you have the engineering code and a good condition battery back up you should be fine , putting the panel into engineering mode will make the panel ignore tampers. If you wish to change the mains cable you will need your battery back up working as the bell box needs a constant 12v Hold off supply , to stop the wire being cut to disable the sounder.

1 Put the panel into engineering mode.
2 Disconnect the mains to the panel , switch and fused spur. WARNING 240V WITHIN PANEL

3 Do you electrical work on the panel and reconnect as it was before
4 Remove the fuse for the RKP and re run the cable (take a picture and wire same at both ends)
5 Finish off all work and close tampers close panel lid and recconect mains
6 Take panel out of engineering mode and enjoy

UNDERTAKE ALL THE ABOVE WITH THE MAINS DISCONNECTED AND CHECK FOR DEAD

AVOID JOINING CABLES IF POSSIBLE

Any hiccups Post back

Cheers Mad Man

Depending on the state of the battery in the panel (when was this last checked/changed?), simply isolating the mains supply in both cases is usually sufficient. Obviously, to replace the mains cable you need to make sure the power is off, but it's good practice to isolate it whenever you're working in the panel. Just make sure the battery is OK. If in doubt, stick a new 12v 7ah SLA battery in there and give it a couple of days to fully charge before carrying out the work and don't leave it for more than 5 or 6 hours without mains power.

Moving the keypad, simply enter engineers mode, disconnect the 5 cables from the remote network terminals (labeled A to E), remove the keypad and re-locate, connect your new cable at the keypad end, connect the new cable at the panel end (like for like) with the A connection being the last (12 volt supply)

Thanks madman.

Your advice is pretty much what I expected though I hadn't thought about pulling the RKP fuse.

The battery was replaced 18months ago so should be in good working order.
I know for sure it is at least holding some charge.

Sponsored Links
18 Months ago, that should be fine, pulling the fuse will prevent popping it when you make / disconnect cables.

As i say anything else, just post :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back