Work tops from parquet?

hj

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello. I've got a load of parquet - about 270x28mm size. I was thinking of making a worktop with them for a few places in the house. Would it simply be a matter of gluing and clamping them together until they set, or is there a better way to connect them into sheets?

Sponsored Links
Put some polythene on a flat surface, lay the parquet on the polythene and glue the blocks together. Clamp as required (sash clamps). Once dry you can flip it over and you will have a nice flat sheet of parquet worktop.
The alternative is to use a 'band clamp', which is like a belt you put around the perimeter of the work. However, this might not be the best idea if the work doesn't form a neat rectangle while glueing. I guess it depends how uniform your blocks are.

Last edited:
As simple as that eh! Can you recommend a type of glue for this? I was thinking of using parquet sheets to create window sills and a long shelf.

Sponsored Links
What pattern are you going to lay the parquet in?

Personally I'd fix the whole lot to plywood, to remove the risk of collaspe when you pick it up, and make it more rigid.

PVA would be fine but I'd be tempted by PU glue. I added a four-inch sticky-out bit to a beech block worktop (to cover a dishwahser), by butt-joining it with PU glue and cramping it up really tight with sash cramps. It took the weight of the bloke servicing my boiler, when he hopped up on it before I could stop him.

Cheers
Richard

I'd also advocate fixing it to a stable substrate such as ply and using a waterproof glue.

You probably also would benefit from looking up using a router to flatten large slabs - it's a simple jig to construct and would allow for a much better finish.

Matthew Cremona and Wood Whisperer have good youtube videos on the subject - the wood whisperer one might be more useful in this instance as he is using the technique to surface plane the top of a Roubo workbench.

I'd take a belt sander over the whole thing when finished, as if sanding a floor. 60 grit, then 80 grit, then 100 grit, wire wool then Ronseal mattcoat varnish. Personally.

Thanks for the advice. I've got to finish a few other things first, but then will give it a go.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back