Worked for an old lady who was befriended by someone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Worked (gardening) for a crazy old lady (90) who was befriended by a previous gardener (lady in fifties) and became her friend. This lady in her fifties was controlling, stirring and manipulative and frequently caused problems for myself and another worker there. The crazy old lady not mentally ill but totally out of touch with what was going on around her; (she foreign and had never worked in Britain and her British husband took care of everything until he died).

Anyway, the lady in her fifties made herself next of kin, had power of attorney etc. I always believed she had the intention of getting on the will. Going round 4 days a week and controlling person. Anyway this 50s lady and her husband have been selling the bungalow since the old lady's death. Is it worth reporting them to the police for inheritance fraud or at least getting the police to check if nothing untoward has happened? I heard all you need is two signatures on the will for it to be legit so even if she did manipulate herself onto it there's nothing you can do anyway. The old lady's relatives weren't at the funeral, whether they couldn't be bothered or weren't contacted I don't know. Should an outside person look into all this?

At this stage the police are the only ones who can intervene. The relatives could contact a lawyer but I have no idea of how to contact them.

Sponsored Links
Yes, report them. At the very least you can say to yourself that you've tried to do the right thing even if the police don't do much. There are some bastar ds around :(

If the will was valid (ie had the usually-accepted wording and was signed by two persons who were not beneficiaries) there is nothing the police can or will do. It is up to the family to contest the will, and unless they could prove coercion, or that the lady was not of sound mind, there is nothing they can do either.

(y)You can report them to clear your conscience but you need evidence rather than just what you think may have happened.

Just because you correlate events does not mean there is causation.

Also you seem like a nice caring gardener.

Sponsored Links
Leave it well alone. You have absolutely no evidence. It is not anything to do with you. You could end up in far more trouble than you could ever think possible. Do your gardening and keep your neb out.

Leave it well alone. You have absolutely no evidence. It is not anything to do with you. You could end up in far more trouble than you could ever think possible. Do your gardening and keep your neb out.
What do you mean exactly?

Do you mean they would take revenge on me.

That's why I haven't done anything so far fear they would find out it was me who reported them and I guess the fifty year old couple who are hoping to inherit would narrow it down to two or three possible individuals and I would be one of them that dobbed them in, do the police tell people who they were reported by?

I could call the cops anonymously and ask if my name is given. Seeing as the 50s lady had herself next of kin and her and her husband are selling the dead lady's bungalow they must also be the executors

Just purchased the will. Takes a few days. If it looks OK and nephew and other friends got some of will and not the all to the fifties lady and husband I guess don't call police

Last edited:
The police would not disclose who a witness allegation was from. However, you don't have any evidence a crime has been committed. Getting someone to change their will, is not a criminal offence. Unless you were expecting to get something from the will, are related to the deceased, you are not a person who can contest the will.

The will was this-

I appoint as sole executor (woman in 50s who befriended her).

I give the rest of my estate to my executor and trustee to hold on trust to pay my debts, taxes and testimony and pay the residue equally to-

(50 year old woman who befriended her)

And

(nephew in another country )

£440,00 gross

£293,000 net

Does this mean mean the ex gardener woman in 50s who befriended her pockets £146,000 for caring for her for 9 yrs?

I noticed the will was written in 2014 when the cow got me fired by stirring nonsense. I got job back though a year later.

Regarding wills what are the definitions of an executor and trustee.

One of the witnesses on will was from her home address. Blatant manipulation.

I guess if she's not pocketing it all the will is legit and no point calling cops

Last edited:
Ask your questions here:
http://swarblaw.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=19

executor settles the estate and implements the wishes of the will
trustee is used when the will holds in trust some of the assets of the will.

Its unusual to specify exact amounts in a will - they tend to take precedence over %ages or shares.

For example in 2014 she might be worth 1M so leaves 100k to her buddy intending the large portion to go to her nephew. In 2018 she might be worth net 120K, in which case her buddy gets the 100k first.

If you have concerns - trace the nephew, he is one to contest it.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back