working for 'big' companys compared to 'small'

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
what do you guys rate? Iv only ever worked for local plumbers on a small scale. Iv thought about trying out for british gas or for a boiler company doing their breakdowns? seems a cushy job having a van with all the gear to fix their boilers get your jobs and your away. all the technical help is with you. sounds peachy.

at the moment i work for a guy in scunthorpe he has us doing everything from ballvalves-bathrooms-combi swaps-system changes-drainage etc. find I carry so much gear its silly

Sponsored Links
Wouldn't call working for a company like british gas a cushy number. Think most people are trying to get out of BG as the management have gone mad. Having to work shifts puts me off aswell, my weekends are my own and would never work them, unless it was for myself of course ;)

Better to find a small company who are looking for a good heating engineer to repair boilers and carry out servicing/ landlords. You would probably find you are more highly valued and probably better paid aswell.

Many people would find a wide variety of work an attraction. Perhaps you are a moaner?

If you are about average or below average you will probably be happy at BG.

If you are above average as suggested above you will probably be better off with a small firm where your abilities are better valued.

Tony

working for BG isnt cushy and the mangement have gone mad, but what do you expect when most of them have never lifted a spanner in their lives, one of them is a yank for gawds sake. :LOL:

BG has many benefits but also many drawbacks. depends what you are looking for, if its an easy life i'd look elsewhere.

dont listen to tony about a BG engineers skill, most are very good (far above his level anyway) but think they dont get the time to do the job properly and get seduced by the amount of money that can be made for doing your job badly. you will get good training if you are a carp engineer and its up to you if you use it or not.

Sponsored Links
Nickso i would never doubt Agiles abilities. For someone by his own admission was wiring up boilers wrong and doesnt trust himself to get an end feed fighting right (both basics) he certainly has an amazing ability to still see what he is typing when his head is so far up his own ar#e. :rolleyes:

Agree 100% with all the above, some management muppet at bg has decided to make it a disciplinary procedure if you don't complete the expected amount of work which is just forcing all the engineers good and bad to bodge jobs, ignore faults and blag customers to get their time in. I would say engineer job satisfaction is currently at an all time low, but still an ok job to get in, get trained and get out.

Many people would find a wide variety of work an attraction. Perhaps you are a moaner?

If you are about average or below average you will probably be happy at BG.

If you are above average as suggested above you will probably be better off with a small firm where your abilities are better valued.

Tony

wooo wooo wooo Im definalty not a moaner. il get given some rods in the morning and told to unblock other peoples sh1t and go away with a smile on my face. probs have read the BG situation wrong. was more looking at working for a company like Ideal...vokera fixing their boilers from day to day and see how i got on.

looking at my situation i dont do too bad and dont find im ever stressed at work...apart from the usless aprentice I get dumped with who cant scratch two brain cells together [ooo theres me moaning agen] :cool:

if it helps.
from talking to the BG guys we have had here, they work like HP

given a set amount of jobs /day

when all done, go home (job and finish)

but one that we saw most of has since left

The BG earnings seem to be about 20-30% more than most boiler manufacturer's staff engineers!

Although the better engineer's seem to be happy in their work but then they are prettty much just 8-5 and no weekends.

Tony

Sorry I meant to say "Although the better MANUFACTURER'S STAFF engineers..........

eh? BG, no weekends? have you finally flipped? :LOL:

BG engineers would making an absolute killing if they were paid fair out of hours rates.....time and a fifth indeed. :rolleyes:

Nickso Time and a fifth don`t sound much but it is actually around £16.50 so thats still better than a lot get at time and a half .
When that overtime rate was decided, as well as the time and a half for sunday`s it was part of a package that seen our basic go up from £12500 to just under £18000 in one go so it is a lot better than it now sounds.

Nickso Time and a fifth don`t sound much but it is actually around £16.50 so thats still better than a lot get at time and a half .
When that overtime rate was decided, as well as the time and a half for sunday`s it was part of a package that seen our basic go up from £12500 to just under £18000 in one go so it is a lot better than it now sounds.

that was a long time ago namsag. i still think its an insult.

rumour central has us getting a 10% rise this year with some heavy conditions, cant wait to see what they are :LOL:

BG would be a good company if we worked as a team, like back in the days of depots and bonus!! The job would be a lot easier if we were allowed to concentrate on doing a days work and not get bogged down with sales, advice and other things that customers don't want to hear, especially when they've had no heating or hot water.... Bring back employee job satisfaction and get rid of pressurised job completion rates and we'll be a lot happier!! ....Other than that - great company!! LOL

Sponsored Links
Back