Working light - not...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are in the process of moving and i took down a light that was working fine.
However when i took the light down i found 3 cables, i found 2 red cables taped into an electrical block, 4 black wires which i presume are neutrals, 5 earth wires, a single red wire.
Now i know that some of the black cables were in an electrical box which i think i took out with the intention of putting them into the replacement light fitting.
Problems i have are:
The replacement light fitting has a row of holes for me to put the wires, they are 2 for neautral, 3 loop holes and then one hole for a live cable, that is what it says on fitting.

Anyway i did not feel at all confident tackling this so i have put all wires into an electrical block until i get someone to deal with it or i find the correct advice on here :oops:
I have now gone out my kitchen to find i have no lights out there :cry:

Wife knows i am a numpty, but not prepared to take a risk by torchlight of trial and error with wires.

I am presuming that i can put 3 of the neutrals back into an electrical block tape it up and just have one into the light fitting - but which one i have no idea !
I can leave the 2 wires that are already in an electrical block taped up.
And what of all these earth wires - i have no chance of putting all these into the one allocated hole for them on the fitting.....

all help kindly received..

Sponsored Links
It sounds like you have 3 neutrals (one feed in, one feed out, one to the light).

One of the four blacks must be a switched live (the return wire from the switch)

It sounds like you've wired the switched live in with the neutrals and that's why you now have no lights - you've blown the fuse/breaker?

You need to locate with a multimeter which black is the SL. Perhaps it has a marking on it (red sleeve/tape?)

All the earths need to go into a block. Use a bigger one with a flying lead to go into your terminal. Sounds like you already have a flying lead to the old light?

Can you take a photo of the wiring? It doesn't quite make sense...

Sponsored Links
Your photos don't seem to match your description. Are you sure you don't have 4 cables coming to the fitting?

It looks like you have split your neutrals up which is why you have lost power in the kitchen. This is dangerous because disconnected neutrals can become live - and the neutrals in your kitchen light probably are.

The main thing is to establish which of the black cables are actually neutrals, and which, if any, are switchline cables.

You need a multimeter to do this. Do you have one? Also you need to look at the switch to see what the wiring is in there.

If you don't have a meter and don't know how to use one, then you should consider callling in an electrician, as he will be able to fix the problem dead quick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back