Working on a Lath & Plaster ceiling

What can I use to spread over this area which will adhere to the existing plaster and also to the exposed laths.

We usually use plaster of Paris. Carefully vacuum the exposed plaster and lathes and then pour the liquid plaster onto the affected area. This will bond the plaster back to the lathes.

Sponsored Links
OK, more explanation.

I marked out ceiling with the required position of the Youngmans frame and then drilled through each corner. One side of the frame (the long side) was very close to an existing joist so I moved everything across slightly to coincide with this. I then used a sharp handsaw and cut along the edge of this joist. The other 3 sides of the new frame were marked out and fortunately the long ends also coincided with the cross laths, so these were easy to saw through with a standard plasterboard saw. The final long side was marked and again was very carefully sawed along as to not crack any of the laths.

But to get the new frame to sit in place on top of the original laths you have to clear away the existing plaster which has squeezed up between the laths when it was originally applied.

This is the issue I'm asking about.

I do realise that when finished the surrounding architrave will hold the plaster surface, but the ceiling needs to be re-skimmed with new plaster as the original ceiling was not level and to get the loft hatch and the ladder attached to it to hang vertically I've had to re-position one side of the Youngmans frame about 10mm below the face of the existing ceiling.

Sorry, can't provide any photos at the moment as the job is at my daughters property. If you're still not clear as to what I'm talking about, I'llget some pics tomorrow.

Richard

Yes, photos from above and below would help explain.
AAMOI: a 10mm sag from one side of a hatch to the other implies the joists are the culprits.
What section size joists do you have?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back