working on consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I work for a company that installs electricity meters, we are not electricians, we are not part 'P' registerd, we are coverd by a moccopa certificate to work on our companies equipment. We are now been asked to remove cover on consumer unit/fuseboard to test the tightness customers tails, I have concerns that we are not qualified to conduct this test and would come unstuck if we created further probs in unit, broken screws maybe dislodging a circuit or similar, we are not ben trained to work on such devices so have concerns over proving competency. What do you think ? It is ok or do you think we are overstepping our training which only covers us from main cutout to customers tails, thanks paul

Sponsored Links
MOCOPA does not offer training courses or provide certificates to individuals. Meter Operators are responsible for assessing that meter installers are competent and issue their own certificates (see Appendix 5 - page 74 and Appendix 7 - page 79 in the MOCOPA). If you do not have a competency certificate, the Meter Operator will assess competency against the criteria and issue their certificate where appropriate.

So has your company assessed your competency?

Hi all thanks for replies, my competancy re-meter installations is fine and correctly accredited, my concerns are as outlined re not been accredited to work on consumer unit, in fact found out today that it is mocopa asking for these further checks. we still not been trained to work in consumer unit/fuseboard so it is that that concerns me will check reg given to see if they help. many thanks sofar meteman

Sponsored Links
You cannot carry out procedures at work for which require competance and/or training if you do not have that competance and/or have not received that training.

The EAWR are law.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back