Working our stair dimensions

M

marsaday

How do you work out the going and rise of a flight of stairs.

I need 2 flights - one going from the first floor up to a half landing and then another off the HL up to the attic.

One flights going is longer than the other.

i havent built the half landing yet, but i need to build this in the correct place in order to accomodate the 2 flights.

Sponsored Links
You've got Approved Document Part K, right?

Ensure your risers are no more than 220mm, goings no less than 220mm, but pitch must not exceed 42 ° for a domestic stair.

Draw it out. Work out your minimum (or ideal) half landing size, and calculate how many goings and risers you need to span the gap between your lower floor and half landing, then do the same for the gap between the half landing and the upper floor.

If the goings are less than 220mm, the risers more than 220mm, or the pitch more than 42 ° , go back to the drawing board.

the rise and going should be the same on both flights if only a half landing is present as far as i remember........and 220 is the rule as stated already.

if it is a properly broken stairway- eg one over another you can have different rise and going but otherwise they must be equal. the half landing just counts as a longer tread for calculation purposes and therefore will be governed by everything else as to the exact size you get- though more is better as i'm sure there is a minimum dimension. might be best to use kites and winders but get the guy who'll be making them to look.....he'll be the expert and will be able to see exactly what you need on site.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back