Working out Angles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all, (posting in the correct forum this time)

Im trying to work out a angle to find out how I can build my 2nd storey side extension.

I need to work out what is 45 degrees from the middle my neighbours closet windows. The problem is the neighbor's house is on a angle. (dont know what angle it is)

I've attached some pictures and i would really appreciate some advice.
IMG_5256.JPG
IMG_5257.JPG
IMG_5256.JPG
IMG_5257.JPG
IMG_5261.JPG
IMG_5300.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5304.JPG
    IMG_5304.JPG
    248.8 KB · Views: 242
Sponsored Links
Does your council actually apply the 45° rule to front side extensions?

Get an OS map

google maps with "satellite" imagery switched on, print it off and use a protractor (I wouldn't be surprised if Google Maps had some sort of built-in ruler thing you might use)

Sponsored Links
In the first instance he would look on google earth top down view, do a print out and use a protractor. Though you could also get a print out from your local authority's 'interactive map' (google it) which is effectively an OS map. In theory you have to pay for an extract of the OS map. But if it was really tight as in touch and go as to whether the neighbours property was affected or not then then the two walls need to be surveyed.

Ordnance survey plan, this shows the properties with a reasonable degree of accuracy.

Alternatively.

Draw your house to accurate external dimensions.
From your rear garden or flat roof, sight where the line of that neighbours front elevation, meets your side elevation. Draw a point on your plan. A
Then sight where a perpendicular line from your side elevation intersects with the neighbour's front corner.
Mark a point on your plan on your side elevation (B) and measure the distance to the neighbour's corner. Mark a point C.
Draw a line on your plan through A and C.
Draw the window position on this line, and then you can measure the angle from the centre of the window.

Ordnance survey plan, this shows the properties with a reasonable degree of accuracy.

Alternatively.

Draw your house to accurate external dimensions.
From your rear garden or flat roof, sight where the line of that neighbours front elevation, meets your side elevation. Draw a point on your plan. A
Then sight where a perpendicular line from your side elevation intersects with the neighbour's front corner.
Mark a point on your plan on your side elevation (B) and measure the distance to the neighbour's corner. Mark a point C.
Draw a line on your plan through A and C.
Draw the window position on this line, and then you can measure the angle from the centre of the window.

Errrrr can I pay you to come around and do this for me???

@op; seriously, you can order Ordnance Survey plans at 1:500 scale. This would give a pretty good indication of your angles.
In anycase, the planning department will work to the same plans, and therefore come to the same conclusion on the angle.
The bloke (or more often these days - girl) who comes round from the planning department once your application is in, will not start measuring
angles - they probably wouldn't know how to set it up anyway.

Are you on good terms with the neighbor? If so 2 people and a string line and a piece of mdf cut to 45 degrees plus a ladder can do it. First string the line along his frontage onto your flat roof- mark the roof- then position the 45 degree template in the centre of his window under the cill and do the same - mark the roof . Then you have measurements on your flat roof that can be transposed to plans. Hope this helps, it's the only way I can see to do it as I have never been able to do any maths, so I kind of work round things;) P.S there's an old saying "a line and a rule guides many a fool"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back