Working out my radiator requirements

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am about to start an extension at the rear of the house and i am extending my c/h system to include the extension. It a new system(1 year old) and was designed to cope with the then hypothetical extra radiators in the extension. I have used 2 different calculators, filling them in as accurately and with as much info as possible and get varied btu requirements of between 12,000 & 17,000 btu's. Both calculators i used had a max window spec of upvc argon filled double glazing with a 12mm air gap. The windows i am putting in are upvc low e0.05glass with a 16mm airgap argon filled and a uvalue of 1.7.
i have already found 2 of purmo 450x1400 double panel radiators that will fall into the lower end of the bracket that the calculators say i require. My question is does the type of windows i have chosen which appear to me to exceed the spec in the calculators available online have a insulation value that exceeds the 12mm airgap argon filled upvc windows that the calculators use? Very long for a simple question but i got there in the end!

Sponsored Links
While i am here. What is the max recommended length of run of 10mm pipe to a radiator from a 22mm source?

Sorry to burst your bubble but do you honestly think that installers working in the domestic market sit down doing heat loss calculations before putting radiators in a house?
No they don't -so neither should you. Just bung a couple of big rads in.
Microbore is fine. Just don't use too long a run.

do you honestly think that installers working in the domestic market sit down doing heat loss calculations before putting radiators in a house?

But the day will come when this will be a requirement to get Building Regs approval!

Sponsored Links
Sorry to burst your bubble but do you honestly think that installers working in the domestic market sit down doing heat loss calculations before putting radiators in a house?

I don't agree. Every ch job I install always has each room measured, assessed for suitable rad space, type of construction etc, so each rad IS sized for the heat loss of that room. Doesn't take more than 15mins for a standard size property :rolleyes:

I take it 20 foot supply and return lines are too big a run? I can extend the 22mm pipes no problem to get them closer to the job but i've got a huge roll of microbore pipe from my last bathroom i did and want to save some cash(looking at 35 G's to do the extension so every bit counts).

As long as each one comes direct off the 22mm then I can't see no problems with 20ft run to each.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back