Radiator sizing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am going to replace some radiators in my flat. The current radiators are very old and sized pre-double glazing and loft extension, so I am questioning the sizes and numbers, especially as I am going to also replace the floor and I have flexibility with pipe sizing. Going round a few calculators online and I am getting wildly different numbers for the required BTU output.

I have so far used these

and I get the following BTU figures

RoomHeat adviserRadiators online
Lounge81025440
Study23011735
Spare room40492218
Hallway9642084
Kitchen46095679

I figured radiators online would be more reliable as it asks for more inputs (e.g. what's above/below the room), are there any other good ones out there?

Sponsored Links
We use Stelrad stars there are 2 versions one aimed at diy the better one you have to register for though still free.
You will probably need a understanding of how Hest loss calculations are done to get best out of it.

Wow that tool is amazing. I do have appreciation of heat losses, just what I needed. Thank you very much!

Quick question, the home page suggests:

Heat loss is presented in BTU (British Thermal Unit) and Watt. A figure of 20% is often added to all room heat loss calculations to fully comply with the requirements under BS 5449 concerning intermittent use of the system.

Does this mean the 20% is already built in or that I should build it in?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back