Working temperature for cement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have some outdoor brick laying work stopped from last two weeks due to the freezing weather. The temperatures are 5 degrees plus today and similar are forecasted for tomorrow, with -2 being the minimum (probably at night). What are safe temperatures for cement to set properly? I’m thinking of having some of the brick laying done tomorrow. Would this be ok in these temperatures?

Sponsored Links
Normal standard is 2° and rising for laying and protect with hessian. As redherring says though, after a really hard prolonged frost the sand can be frozen solid up to 5° or 6°.

I wouldn't have a chance to check the sand till tomorrow morning. We have had 7 degree pretty much most of the day. Would one day of such temperature be enough to un-freeze the sand?

Sponsored Links
I suppose it depends on how it's stored. Mine is in a jumbo bag, covered over, but less than half full.
My sand is thawing well, but not completely thawed yet. It might be OK by tomorrow morning, but then we have 0° forecast for tomorrow night.
1° forecast for Sunday night.
I'm going to leave it until Monday when we should have a couple of reasonable days & nights. I'm still going to add some frostproofer/accelerator though.

I've only got one more days work to finish to DPC, then it's going to be looking for an opportunity to lay floor slab.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back