Working time - Render vs Gypsum undercoat plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

Having had a first go with render, it seems to give reasonable time to work with it. Had finished what I needed to do after 1 hr, and still seemed workable.

In contrast gypsum undercoat plaster seems to go off v quick when it's there!
From memory I think was more like about 45 mins.

Was thinking render seems much slower and gives you more time.
Is this always true?

Sponsored Links
It depends when you want to skim it , If you want to skim it same day then its gypsum, if it needs building out I always throw some cement in with the mix and get it to go off quicker (I never told you that). If you are using s/c then you cant skim it the same day, (you can but I cant tell you that trick) ;)

i got to admit id rather skim over render than a base coat plaster get a cracking finish if the render is floated but is a lot more time consuming to mix up and put on than plaster

Sponsored Links
It depends when you want to skim it , If you want to skim it same day then its gypsum, if it needs building out I always throw some cement in with the mix and get it to go off quicker (I never told you that). If you are using s/c then you cant skim it the same day, (you can but I cant tell you that trick) ;)

We always used 'REMTOX' when skimming s&C the same day, for small areas where a second visit was not worth it. Standard damp proofong practice at the time.

id go with hardwall love the stuff use it all the time good gear so is mp75

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back