Working with insulation board

r_c

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to build a box to go over my poorly insulated loft hatch. This is the box so far - 4 sides and a lid. The parts are loose at this stage. But I have some questions.

1. Can you suggest a glue to use to stick the 5 parts together?
2. After gluing, can I use expanding foam to fill the gaps?
3. Is there something I can use to 'seal' the exposed edges? The foam seem a little dusty.

I needs to be a box as the loft ladder folds up and sticks proud of the boarding in the loft. I have seen examples on the internet where something similar was built. This is my attempt at using insulation board.

Sponsored Links
I would use low expansion adhesive foam to glue it together and fill the gaps (remove foil where it's to be glued, so there's foam to foam contact).
Then, as above, I would foil tape the seems and edges.

• Thanks
Reactions: r_c
I used cheap no nails for mine, which looks virtually identical to yours and has been in service for some years now.

Screenshot_20221113-000817-965.png

Sponsored Links
@cdbe That looks amazing. I like the way you only have a small area for the folded stairs to fit into. Yours is more like a nice snug fitted lid, whereas mine is like a simple box. I may end up infilling mine so that there is less air like yours.

Do you have any weather seal (e.g. something like one of these https://www.stormguard.co.uk/product-category/foam-epdm/) along the bottom to ensure a seal between the insulation and the surface it sits on?

Polymer grap mastic.
Following day foil tape.

Nothing solvent based and no nails non solvent it brittle.
All the no nails are obsolete now modern polymers come on market imo

Ob1. CT1. Everbuild ones are good and a bit cheaper.

• Thanks
Reactions: r_c

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back