Workshop electrics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had an electric shower taken out and the 10mm wire is coiled in the attic turned off at the fuse board. Can i run this into my workshop that i have built next to the house and use it for my lights and sockets ?
I have bought a garage consumer unit which looks easy enough to wire up.

Sponsored Links
Is the workshop attached to the house ?
If not, are there any metallic services entering the workshop ?
Do you know about the requirements for RCDs and how to ensure discrimination ?
What is protecting the old shower cable ?
How do you propose to test your work ?
And are you aware that this is notifiable under Building Regulations ?

If the workshop is built on to the side of the house and the cable does not need to routed outside, the cable should be suitable for your purpose.
If you intend to carry out this work yourself, be aware of the requiements of BS7671:2008 and also the notification of work to building controls.
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part_p

I do have a sparky mate who is up to his eyes in work, but he will come out for a coffee and give it the once over to make sure all is safe.
The wire will go through my attic and down into my workshop, so wont be external at all. I live in a bungalow by the way b4 anyone asks if i have a 2 storey workshop...lol

Sponsored Links
I do have a sparky mate who is up to his eyes in work, but he will come out for a coffee and give it the once over to make sure all is safe.
That's not quite the same as notifying it to Building Control though.

And is he really going to properly test it all for free?

Ban-All-Sheds makes a good point, this is notifiable and will come back to haunt you when you want to sell up or make an insurance claim if something goes wrong.

I would get your mate to work with you, you do all the work but he OKs what you plan checks it out at various stages and tests it properly, that way he can certify it for you - yes he will charge you a bit for this but you will save on labour costs.

Alternatively building control will test and certify for you but this costs £150 here in Hampshire (may vary elsewhere) so not such a good way of doing it.

I can understand where you guys are coming from so thanks.
It's a bit different here in wales, you can pretty much do what you like in the confines of your own boundary cos nobody ever checks.

Ha, know what you mean, grew up in Herefordshire near the border, much the same there :D ah how I miss that simpler way of existing!!

From what you say it is not a new circuit so it is not cut and dried as to if it requires Part P.

However it should be inspected and tested like any other installation. The fact that you are running the cable through walls, floors or ceilings mean that it may be protected inappropriately and although in theory it may not be a new circuit in practice it is. So will need are the considerations given for a new circuit.

Volt Drop, ELI, PFC, and all the other standard requirements provision of RCD protection and current rating according to cable running through insulating material etc.

In Wales Part P is same for all councils at £100 plus vat for first think £6000 worth of work. It is the minimum charge which causes the problem as even it work costs £5 the council still charge the same fee.

As to getting caught we that's the same as driving without insurance. One may get away with it for years and years but once one does get caught then one is really in trouble. It has happened where people have fell on hard times and need to move to get work or raise money and then can't sell house without spending to get it all corrected.

Looks like some taffy gave me a thumbs down, now I know how BAS feels. :( :( :LOL:

well when your putting mint sauce on your next roast dinner - picture a hairy arsed taffy on the side of a mountain with a sheeps back legs down his wellies going at it hammer and tongs - and the farmer can clearly be heard saying "thats another one going across the bridge" :p

that works both ways, and iam sure the french built the bridge and are still collecting the tolls.
anyway i cheat and come back via glorster - its only numpties that dont know their way around that pay :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back