Electric supply in workshop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm interested in wiring up my workshop. I'm a member of the IEEE but haven't taken any exam to allow me to carry out electrical work in the home.

I am thinking of wiring my workshop with a consumer unit, mcb's for lighting and sockets and overall rcd with local earth.

As I understand the regulations, they refer to mains power. I've got a very large 3KW UPS which I've split out the batterys allowing me to carry them down to the house for charging.

Assuming I don't run cables from house to workshop but instead run entirely on batterys through UPS (inverter), is this a gonna be a problem with the current wiring regulations and enforcement of?

Cheers,

DC

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I'm interested in wiring up my workshop. I'm a member of the IEEE but haven't taken any exam to allow me to carry out electrical work in the home.
Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc I only know exist because I made a mistake and put in too many E's when looking for old IEE before it became IET. It is it seems the American version of IET and does not really help with domestic electrics in the UK.
I am thinking of wiring my workshop with a consumer unit, mcb's for lighting and sockets and overall rcd with local earth.

As I understand the regulations, they refer to mains power. I've got a very large 3KW UPS which I've split out the batterys allowing me to carry them down to the house for charging.

Assuming I don't run cables from house to workshop but instead run entirely on batterys through UPS (inverter), is this a gonna be a problem with the current wiring regulations and enforcement of?

Cheers,

DC
The Part P regulations are valid for any fixed electrical system even if plugged in so using an inverter will make no difference as to Part P requirements.

However it will as far as the IET/BSI regulations and the only earthing system you can use will be TT. The meters required to measure an earth rod not used with a mains supply are rather expensive and likely you will need to hire.

The regulations cover most power including wiring for 7pin trailer sockets and solar photovoltaic (PV) power supply systems. Although not the lighting requirements of road traffic act.

The forum is full of requests for how to wire outbuilding see "garage unit wiring again!!!!" for example which has links to IET and their paper in wiring matters on the subject.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back