Workshop planning and introduction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

so, i'm currently 34 and enjoying an early midlife crisis :)

recently married and to be honest, after all that time planning and saving we're both feeling a little lost as to what to do with ourselves, kinda need that next big thing to concentrate on....that's not work! who wants to concentrate on work when there's hobbies to do!

I've always enjoyed martial arts but over the last couple of years it's starting to hit my knees and back more and more and i'm thinking a change of lifestyle is in order.

Now, the garage is where I tend to spend most of my daydreaming as it's the part of the house I have complete control of so I'm thinking of creating a bit of a flexible space.

as per standard midlife crisis it'll need to include a gym area, but i'm hoping to begin my journey into making things, generally based around wood however being as I do work for a steel fabrication company i'll probably do the odd bit of metal work too.

To be honest i'm not even sure what I want to make but i'm starting to enjoy DIY more and more and would like to start creating something in my spare time.

The garage is 9m x 3m but we're currently planning a bit of a remodel of the house which will change it into a 9m x 4.5m space, now it will need to have room to park a car occassionally but mainly it'll be for the above.

So, this thread is really a chuck some ideas at me! I put up some kitchen cabinets in there as a starter (and a beer fridge) but other than that there's nothing in there that can't be moved around. I can't see us making the garage bigger for the next couple of years but wouldn't like to make anything so permanent that it can't be moved when the walls are adjusted.

I'd like to make a mitre saw station as my hand cuts are AWFUL! and a main downfall of my home projects, and would like to incorperate space for a welder under that bench so I can keep things tidy.

Other than that, HI! and what would you do?

Sponsored Links
You could start your timber adventure with pallets, free and if you mess up no great loss.

Keep up the martial arts , I was your age before I even started, if you enjoy it a bit of pain is a small price to pay.

all depends on space and duel use or not[car or no car]
but mitre saw or other heavy machines should be used near or at the front to allow the longest material between blade and rear wall

You could start your timber adventure with pallets, free and if you mess up no great loss.

Keep up the martial arts , I was your age before I even started, if you enjoy it a bit of pain is a small price to pay.

true enough - my issue is I was training in Karate, judo, boxing and Brazilian Ju Jitsu. Think I just burnt myself out training to fit it all in. Trying trim back is proving a little tricky as they each have their merits. I think realistically the Boxing and BJJ are the keepers, I love judo but the days just don't work with real life sadly, and Karate drives me nuts, the last few years have really watered it down, lots of children (the money) very little contact...But that's a whole other thread!! good idea with the pallets! and thinking about it, I have access to as many pallet sides as i'd like too (the wifes company gets them on every inbound delivery but don't use them on outbound)

all depends on space and duel use or not[car or no car]
but mitre saw or other heavy machines should be used near or at the front to allow the longest material between blade and rear wall

i'll do a sketch up and stick it on here at a later date. probably the easiest way to scribble the grand scheme

Sponsored Links
Would have thought Bjj would be the one to avoid , damaged my shoulder and knee doing that.

Midlife crisis + garage = workbenchs, tool storage, finally getting all those screws, bolts etc sorted into containers. But most importantly: an xbox, old arcade video games, and.... a drum kit! Buy an electronic kit and learn to play whilst also keeping yourself fit!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back