Worktop height level with window sill (problem)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had a new kitchen fitted and am having a tiled splashback.

Problem I have is that there is a window behind the sink, the bottom of the window frame is just about level with the worktop...if not ever so slightly lower (the sill area looks to have been bulked up with a filler onto which the old tiles were glued - before the whole kitchen came out - I've not yet hacked this out yet incase I do not need to )

I'm looking for ideas how to tile it...

First thoughts was to place a row of tiles on the sill - butting back to the bottom of the window frame ... and ever so slightly overhanging the worktop .... then sealing any gaps between worktop and tiles (with silicone)....

Thing is I'm sure that this is goind to end up with just diverting any splashed water from the sink area onto the wooden window frame -- and whether this will cause no end of bother in future ??

Any ideas - or does this sound OK ?

Sponsored Links
I should have thought of that !

At work at the moment - and thought I'd throw a post up on here before I forgot !

Sponsored Links
Use a wider worktop and run it into the window reveal so it butts up against the frame looks far better than horizontal tiles would.

J

Here is a photo - unfortunately the worktop is already in so can't get a newer, wider one without great expense . .

I'm thinking of a row of tiles butting back to the window frame, possibly slightly sloped forward to aid draining if/when water spills on them

as you say & maybe beading on the front edge to stop damage to the tile edges

Cheers, think I'll do that ... perhas using the tile trim I'm using instead of a beading ... should look OK that (hopefully !!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back