Worktop in a shower room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone recommend which wood to use for a worktop in a bathroom?

There are two small sections either side of a rectangular basin, one is 990mm long, the other 300mm - both will be 30mm thick and about 250mm deep.

I've already built the cabinet, which has a visible oak frame treated with tung oil.

I was thinking about using oiled bamboo, but was wondering if there is a better choice.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Well oiled timber could be used, have you considered a riven slate tile?

Looked at stone and marble, but the worktops need to be removable for access to the cistern etc. and will be secured from underneath. I could glue wooden strips or blocks to the underside of the stone, but I'm struggling for space as it is.

I was just wondering if there was a specific type of wood that was more suited to wet or damp conditions than others. I've used oiled oak, sycamore and beech around sinks in kitchens for years with no problems. But have never used a wooden work surface in a bath/shower room before and am a bit concerned how oak (first choice) will cope with the humidity - hence thinking about using bamboo instead.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back