Worktop mishap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last summer I carried out a kitchen refurb, part of which involved replaced the sink and worktop. The sink was a ~50kg Belfast style and the worktop made from rubber wood. Therefore I needed to cut a neat recess.

The worktop came with it's own router bit which blunted after only a couple of cuts.

All was going well until the cheap bit caught on something and the router wanting to make a quick exit away from me and damaging the jig in the process! :(

Cut out the recess for the sink completely forgetting about the jig damage and ended up cutting a lovely neat hole in the side of the worktop, grrrr :mad:

Here you can see where I attempted to repair the damage with filler: (near the tap hole)

20170617_163813.jpg

In the end I took out the crap filler and used Rustins professional filler along with some colour matching woodstain.

Moral of the story: don't used the pre-supplied cheap bits. In the end I invested in a couple of Trend bits which cuts like a hot knife through butter!

Sponsored Links
Good advice; but did you think of cutting a bit further back to take out the damage.

Thats the horrible thing about doing worktops!

Could you not trim back a bit further, then fit the worktop a bit further forward?

How did you do the fillets to the internal corners?

Interesting idea Notch, now I'd imagined fitting the belfast sink back a little, but yes, as most wooden worktops tend to have a wooden upstand, you could move the worktop forward, and cover the gap with the upstand.

Sponsored Links
I thought about trimming slightly further back but that would have brought the front out more than I was happy with.

Also it would have been awkward to fit an upstand without trimming it because of there not being much height to the window cill as shown below.

In the end I got my dad in law to tile the walls.

I also didn't use fillets, just butted the worktops and pulled together with clamps.

(apologies for brief replies, my phone is screwing up writing text ! )

20170617_210008.jpg

Actually, you've done a very good job there, but you could still have cut it back a bit to remove the damage. You're right in that the upstands would need to be trimmed down due to the low window cill, and that would have been easy with a router, and looking at what you've achieved, I think you'd have handled the job okay.

Well done.

Thanks Doggit (y) in hindsight I probably could have cut back the worktop given the damage was only about 3mm deep.

I'll stick up a new thread in DIY projects once I get a more up to date picture of the kitchen :)

I have only ever fitted a Belfast sink once. The worktop was iroko. Initially I did a cut out using my circular saw and jigsaw. I then used a long trend bit with a guide wheel at the bottom to follow the profile of the sink.

How do people normally do them?

I bought a sink jig and used that along with measurements of the sink. Did the cut in a few passes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back