Worktop osmo oil issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I know there's a few threads and I've read them but cant get it in my head what I need to do so hoping for some advice!

New worktop - oak. I've put two coats of top oil but the worktop is neither smooth nor resistant to liquid. We do clean up right away but the worktop isn't very resilient.

I sanded before oiling the first time and it was super smooth but now it's so rough and I don't know where I've gone wrong.

Can you help?

Attachments

• PXL_20240424_063204004.jpg
    PXL_20240424_063204004.jpg
    387.2 KB · Views: 21
Sponsored Links
How did you apply it? It should be put on with a lint free cloth along the grain, left for a short while then the excess removed with a clean cloth. It's always ended up smooth for me so something has gone wrong.

Perhaps if it wasn't sufficiently coated, the general use of the worktop [ie, spilling liquid on it] has raised the grain.

Sponsored Links
Look on the osmo site for instructions, use the right medium grade of sandpaper to take off the high spots. It needs a certain amount of roughness to allow the oil to key in properly. It does need many thin coats. I used a squeegy to do mine. Dont forget to use fine sandpaper between coats to keep it flat.

Which grade of paper did you use for the initial sand. I tend to go for 180 grit using a random orbital sander connected to a dust extractor. I suspect that you sanded it with a paper that was too rough and scuffed the surface.

I would recommend lightly sanding the existing coats with 320 grit.

You should not need to sand in between coats, unless you leave weeks in between coats.

According to Osmo themselves,
look at the instructions tab, 120 for oak or beech, 150 for pine,and 240 as the finest grade to use for just before the application.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back