worktop question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This subject has been covered I know but I would prefer an answer(s) particular to my predicament please.

Masons mitre! I have cut out of square mitres before by adjusting the angle on the male cut to suit. So, this is a U shaped kitchen, bottom of the U being the front wall with sink. The right side returns back square, but the left wall returns at "i think" 5 degrees out of square to the front wall.

I have a 1200mm x 1200mm steel square, when I put this against the front wall then slid it to touch the start of the left wall I measured the gap between the edge of the square at 1200mm and the left wall, the gap at this point is 95mm. Using a protractor and a scale rule and a bit of paper I worked it out to be 5 degrees out of square. So does this mean I need to do the male cut 5 degrees out of square to marry the female mitre which I dont intend to adjust?

If this is as clear as mud I can supply a drawing, thank you

Sponsored Links
The correct way to do it would be to take 2 1/2 degrees from each side

But simply adjusting the Male end will work just be careful with the fit at the front It may need a bit of work with a sander to get it correct any more than 7 or 8 degrees out and you really will struggle to get the joint lined up properly using this method

Sponsored Links
Thank you Mr Boyle, could I just clarify, you say 2 1/2mm off of male and female, did you mean 2 1/2 degrees off of both? Thanks

Cheers Mr Boyle, I went for the 5 degrees on the male, I wasn't comfortable with doing 2.5 on the female. After a bit of planing and a lot of sanding it worked a treat, cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back