Worried about my plumbers competence

Sponsored Links
Villageclown i think some on here know exactly what it takes to be an engineer and you seem to know exactly what it takes to be a clown!

duty of care that managers have throughout any supply chain..builders have contractual obligations to their clients, but they all know that if a sub contractor screws up, thats the end of it..

Holding anyone to account in construction is very difficult....builders hide behind that..for a start its very expensive..because of the technical knowledge needed

Sponsored Links
duty of care that managers have throughout any supply chain..builders have contractual obligations to their clients, but they all know that if a sub contractor screws up, thats the end of it..

Holding anyone to account in construction is very difficult....builders hide behind that..for a start its very expensive..because of the technical knowledge needed
What qualifys as a builder i know people who 2 yrs back were fitting windows before that one was a butcher.

any one can be a builder....no special training or knowledge is required

all a builder is is a man with a telephone book... the rest is obvious...

not to say there aren't some good ones....

As Lee says 14 pages of carp. :rolleyes:

Guys , it's not for us to tell/advise the OP how the job should be done , he's getting a free plumbing lesson off the backs of the guys who have the biggest dick , god help the next plumber who shows up on the OP's doorstep :rolleyes: , hows it go........................those that 'think' they know................................. ;)................and yes I have a small dick which is the reason I don't post much on the P&H forum. ;)

How interesting.

There is this misconception that if you hold a G3 Tkt, that makes hyou competent, well, it doesnt.

There is also the assumption that if you are Gas Safe registered, then you are competent enough to fit boilers and do all that your ID Card says you are competent to do.
WRONG ON BOTH COUNTS.

Folks urn hear are asking why I bovered to get a G3 Tkt if I'll encourage Joe Public to fit their own unvented cylinders?
That is their choice.

So the plumber did not inform BC in advance of the install so what? It;s not the end of the world. Were the OP to contact BC to come have a look at the install, and after paying the appropriate fee, they will come and advice accordingly. The worst they can do if advice him that they should have been informed in advance. All the same, they will attend. There i something called ''common sense'', most councils apply it.

Peeps urn hear keep banging the drum about being Gas Engineers and putting down plumbahs?
They aint gotta clues what it takes to be an Engineer. The qualifications involved, ffftttt. ENGINEER, yeah, right.

Please use spell check before posting , WTF are you on about? :confused:

As Lee says 14 pages of carp. :rolleyes:

Guys , it's not for us to tell/advise the OP how the job should be done , he's getting a free plumbing lesson off the backs of the guys who have the biggest dick , god help the next plumber who shows up on the OP's doorstep :rolleyes: , hows it go........................those that 'think' they know................................. ;)................and yes I have a small dick which is the reason I don't post much on the P&H forum. ;)

To be fair there has been a lot of going about in circles... and Fook knows how little the gee gees got onto it. :LOL:

Did you suss out those emails btw?

god help the next plumber who shows up on the OP's doorstep :rolleyes:

Thank you for your opinion.

In your view then, next time a 'professional' installs an unvented cylinder with no expansion vessel and relief valves with nothing on the vent port, how should I react?

Is saying "Thank you very much. Gosh I do admire you skilled tradesman chaps - I would never have thought you could do it like that" appropriate?

Obviously I should then tip him handsomely, but do you think it's better to accompany it with a bottle of whisky or a crate of ale? Is the latter too much of a classist stereotype, do you think?

O.P , you have had a free insight into the mind of the tradesman - if you feel a tiny bit that it explains the state of the industry - then I`m with you ;)

god help the next plumber who shows up on the OP's doorstep :rolleyes:

Thank you for your opinion.

In your view then, next time a 'professional' installs an unvented cylinder with no expansion vessel and relief valves with nothing on the vent port, how should I react?

Is saying "Thank you very much. Gosh I do admire you skilled tradesman chaps - I would never have thought you could do it like that" appropriate?

Obviously I should then tip him handsomely, but do you think it's better to accompany it with a bottle of whisky or a crate of ale? Is the latter too much of a classist stereotype, do you think?

You should sack him, not pay him and move on!
Have we made page 16 of this dross yet.

Am I one of the only ones here that agrees with how the OP has dealt with things ?

He posted a question on here because he wasn't sure & wanted some conformation that the "plumber" had either done the job correctly or had made a total ballsup of it.

He has had some very good replies from some very good installers, & some from people who think he has gone about it the wrong way.

Correct me if I am wrong but as I see it, The OP has appointed a builder to carry out work to a standard the OP is happy with, the builder has appointed a "plumber" to install the plumbing to the req standard, the plumber hasn't done this therefore he has been sacked, the OP now has gained alot of valuable info from this thread & by reading the MI, the new installer should be able to go through things with the OP & explain what needs to be done, as long as the OP treats the new guy with respect & doesn't start ranting at him the moment he walks through the door, peace & harmony should return.

How some of you can defend the original installer by saying he isn't here to defend himself is beyond me

There you go Lee :D

Assuming the OP maintains the same persona in real life, then a decent plumber should get on okay.

With respect,Lee, MOST threads on this site go around in circles and off at tangents. The OP has justifiable complaints, and I, for one, understand how dificult it is to stand your ground if you aren't absolutley sure of your facts. Most OP complaints are groundless, penny pinching or just pure whinging, I don't think this falls into those categories.

Well said - I would be happy to work for the OP - if I was Gas Safe and Unvented qualified - Believe it or not I know about customer service . But now I`m retired I really not bothered. Interestingly though , I was in the decorators merchants this morning and saw an old M8 - he`s working with another builder called in to put right a cocked up extension ( decorating) Not much hope for the future of the industry :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back