Worried about my plumbers competence

I bet the OP is a solicitor or something similar. What do you do for a living mate?

It's **** joe and indicative of the disgraceful standards thats is getting near the norm now.

it should be ripped out no questions asked, and if the OP is a Solicitor he should sue his arse off. :oops:

Sponsored Links
Half of you seem to think it is OK (ianmcd for example).

Half of you seem to think it is OK (ianmcd for example).
No-one who can honestly call himself a tradesman would call that OK.

Apart from the faults (ie things that are just plain wrong), it's a crap install, poorly laid out (not planned), and even workmanship is poor (I'd be embarrassed by the solder running down the pipes). A few have alluded to the problem - those that can do a good job tend to take longer, and so don't get the work having been undercut by some cowboy like this one.

- those that can do a good job tend to take longer, and so don't get the work having been undercut by some cowboy like this one.

I have spoken to installers who had done a sub standard installation and their reply was that when the builder is not paying them properly then they are not going to spend time doing the job properly!

Doubtful if thats the case here though.

Can anyone confirm the OP's statement that there is a non return valve between the balanced cold outlet and the EXV connection port on that type of valve?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Can anyone confirm the OP's statement that there is a non return valve between the balanced cold outlet and the EXV connection port on that type of valve?

The cylinder instructions (inlet group was in accompanying pack with cylinder):

The instruction sheet with the valve group itself lists the presence of a check valve within the assembly, but does not have a schematic:

I agree the instructions and schematic does imply its located as you suggested.

Also stating the reason for it being there would make it logically placed at that point.

I always like to see a cross section drawing of parts though as manufacturers sometimes get their instructions wrong.

When the correct port is clearly shown in the instructions its difficult to imagine why the installer would have done it differently.

Did you ever get any answer on the question of if he is G3 qualified?

I have never heard of any prosecutions for fitting unventeds when unqualified.

Tony

Pay peanuts get monkeys come to mind... no doubt the builder charged alot for the plumbing and heating though..passing only a fraction to the plumber...

That's the way it should be. He's not a charity. If he pays big money he quotes big money and the job goes elsewhere.

if the client pays big money he should expect with confidence a first rate plumbing and heating system...trouble os builders short change on that...we all know it..

Yeah but if he gave everyone top dollar and they all did a fine job he'd go bust as everyone wants cheap,cheap, cheap. The customer dictates that everything is done on price, and only price. We all know that.

Don't you feel guilty knowing that he'll get kicked off the Gas-Safe register? :confused:

Don't you feel guilty knowing that he'll get kicked off the Gas-Safe register? :confused:
Will he ?
And if he was, would that be a bad thing ?

The GS register is supposed to be about safety. This plumber is clearly not competent and is a danger to himself and others. On that basis, no-one should feel guilty of he were to be kicked off the register.

Out another way, if you knew of (say) a lorry driver who was clearly not competent to be driving a lorry, and was clearly a danger to himself and other road users ... should you feel guilty if those faults were picked up and he was stopped from driving lorries and endangering others ?

EDIT: This isn't just about his work being downright ugly - the regs don't cater for that. But he's made several serious errors, he's outright lied to the customer about safety related issues (plus others), and generally demonstrated a general lack of ability that should be present in anyone who can truthfully call themselves a plumber.

Any half decent plumber will be thinking, if they haven't actually stated it publicly, that these sorts of people really need weeding out as they give the whole trade a bad reputation. Sadly, in my limited experience, bad plumbers are more common than they should be.

I don`t - he can die with the rest of the prima donna swans on the lake :mrgreen: . I love this thread , it`s well into the realm of allegory - soon be 20 pages :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back