Worried about this

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I've just had a new 18kw heat only boiler fitted and have a concern. As you can see from the picture I have a 22mm pipe from gas meter (meter is out side literally at the back of the boiler) the gas fitter has used the old 15mm t joint to join to the 22mm.

Everything is working but am worried this could be a issue moving forward. Wouldn't there be some restriction through the 15mm to the 22mm?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20240523_082009.jpg
    IMG_20240523_082009.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 94
Sponsored Links
I would have run it in 22mm .
However it will not be a problem regarding pressure drops etc

My 18Kw heat only boiler is situated in my loft. It’s 15mm pipe for the gas all the way up there. It’s the second boiler I’ve had, the other was also 18Kw and they’ve both been fine for 30 years.

Combi - needs a 22mm gas supply. You can however get away with a short length of 15mm close to the boiler. From memory this was around 1.5m max.

Regular boiler (heat only) - 15mm is fine.

Sponsored Links
It is a little bit (edit) naughty but it has saved the need to replace that section to replace the Tee. As suggested, as long as the boiler heat rated ok then shouldn't be an issue.

Last edited:
18 KW boiler requires approx 1.8 cubic metres of gas .
15mm copper pipe at 3 metres length, capable of discharge of approx 2.9 cubic metres

My 18Kw heat only boiler is situated in my loft. It’s 15mm pipe for the gas all the way up there. It’s the second boiler I’ve had, the other was also 18Kw and they’ve both been fine for 30 years.
I was concerned as it's going from 22mm to 15mm back to 22mm in a such a short span of pipe. Do you think that is alright?

Combi - needs a 22mm gas supply. You can however get away with a short length of 15mm close to the boiler. From memory this was around 1.5m max.

Regular boiler (heat only) - 15mm is fine.
Thanks my other concern was it going from 22mm to 15mm back to 22mm in such a short span of pipe.

Thanks my other concern was it going from 22mm to 15mm back to 22mm in such a short span of pipe.
That in itself isn't a problem. The pressure drop will be slightly higher than if it was 22mm throughout, but by less than 0.1 mb by my estimate, so not a problem. Most boilers of that sort of output have 15mm gas connection, maybe yours is from a range including bigger models.

Absolutely nothing at all to worry about it wont make any difference at all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back