Worth getting manned guarding/CCTV?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone hired security guards for big (in actual sq ft not company) plumb warehouse space. got a new alarms system but the company who fitted it (local, seem decent enough) advised manned guarding or cctv in addition as apparently the area has had a bad bout of break ins. I know it's a rough area (industrial estate in Leeds is never going to be high class) but don't know whether it's worth the investment or not. Don't want to end of 'should have could have' when I'm half my stock short and having to hire in someone as well.

:?:

Sponsored Links
Did the company not recommend anyone local and what services they provide?

The costs/ versus security of your stock, only you can decide if its worth it.

If you get a local guarding company to be your keyholder for the alarm, you can probably get them to drive past your place a couple of times a night too.

We have many commercial customers who use a guarding company this way. Some of them even get the guards to set and unset the alarm! (But that's big lazy software companies for you!)

CCTV? That's your choice. Will it show you what you want to see? Or just a fuzzy blob jemmying your roller shutter? ;)

At my old job we used to have one that went off every time so much as a piece of paper floated to the floor, but then got broken into 3 times so was worth having one that sensitive. It called one of us and we did oncall style shifts with the phone. If you were oncall you basically agreed to be at home for those few days. Only trouble was that it was either a waste of time (no one there) or when it was a really break in had to go and potentially handle the cretins themselves - lose lose situation!

Hope you have got a better system now !

Sponsored Links
Hi, I have lots of experience with both man guards and cctv so I can give you a bit of information if you want,
I have installed cctv for 12 years so know a bit about it.

If you want pm me I am happy to help anyone looking for advice

At my old job we used to have one that went off every time so much as a piece of paper floated to the floor, but then got broken into 3 times so was worth having one that sensitive. It called one of us and we did oncall style shifts with the phone. If you were oncall you basically agreed to be at home for those few days. Only trouble was that it was either a waste of time (no one there) or when it was a really break in had to go and potentially handle the cretins themselves - lose lose situation!

Hope you have got a better system now !

I got so confused reading this at first thinking...I'm SURE I wrote that! Then realised you meant to quote it! Yes that was in my old place, I'm looking for something better this time for those exact reasons ha ha

Hi, I have lots of experience with both man guards and cctv so I can give you a bit of information if you want,
I have installed cctv for 12 years so know a bit about it.

If you want pm me I am happy to help anyone looking for advice

Cheers mate - that's kind of you. I'm in Yorkshire, where are you based?

Ahh no worries, always good to be busy!! I went for the upgrade with the original firm Acclaimed security in the end as they seem decent enough think they're at http://www.acclaimed-security.com Reckon it's for the best that we went for the extras, hopefully be safe and sound now! Donny might have been a bit tricky location wise but cheers for the reply anyway mate!

Hope all's well with business! Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back