Wot? No gritters?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Up here in Lancashire and Greater Manchester I haven't seen a single gritter or evidence of salt on the roads. This time last year we were knee deep in the stuff.

Could it be that our local highways authority are hoarding salt in anticipation of another long snowy winter?

Sponsored Links
I don't know which part on lancs you live in, but around here i only saw two gritters last year and neither was spreading. Even with salt in the air the roads were lethal, YES even the prom.

I am actually in the business of selling rock salt and I have already had a warning from suppliers that stocks are running out and the next shipment is in January...they are obviously stock piling

Bolton, last three nights, i beileve the first two was not needed.

Pants down last time, overkill this this time, (.. Looking after the Bolton Family..) what a laugh.

Sponsored Links
YEH 1/2 inch of white stuff and the south grinds(skids)to a halt. They need it. :evil:

You're not kidding:
S8000933.jpg

The news reports that the councils are ready, but this is the first time in nearly 30 years I believe, of such an early cold snap, so they aren't really ready at all, it'll be same old. It's already in the news with stuck cars, and overturned vehicles, and that's just a blip.

The gritters have changed tactics from salt, to sugar/salt, but birds were eating all that, and dieing a bit, and the runoff was affecting the watercourses, so we were drinking grit. The latest tactic is to put salt with a mix of saline. (salt water), so presumably in arctic conditions, this lay on compact black ice, would turn to more black ice immediately?

When you think of the dire effects salt has cars bodywork, I wonder how many gritters the council gets through, before they rust completely?

And an early cold snap, means an Indian summer next year, YAY!!!

When you think of the dire effects salt has cars bodywork, I wonder how many gritters the council gets through, before they rust completely?

lets hope for the indian summer :D :D

its only badly prepaired vehicles that rust a gritter will be designed with salt in mid with perhaps a repaint/repair slightly more often than usual but with the salt season being around 6 to 8 weeks a well treated vehicle with appropriate paint/resin finnish and a good full clean every week should last years without being affected by salt

lets hope for the indian summer :D :D

its only badly prepaired vehicles that rust a gritter will be designed with salt in mid with perhaps a repaint/repair slightly more often than usual but with the salt season being around 6 to 8 weeks a well treated vehicle with appropriate paint/resin finnish and a good full clean every week should last years without being affected by salt

I show my car at shows..I doubt that councils (that I used to work for), wax the gritters...the gritters are full of corrosive salt, in their season.

Sponsored Links
Back