wots going on????help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello peeps,i seem to be having problems with my laptop(im running xp with sp2)i have fsecure and spybot as virus checkers have tried to do a virus check,using f secure and after a while it freezes and hangs,then try to use spybot and it runs for approx 10 mins then the laptop turns itself off,this is the first time ive had problems with the laptop in 18mths so i do not think there is any conflicts going on????have i got a virus???if any of you can be of help will be greatly appreciated.

regards gregers

Sponsored Links
Does the computer show other issues or is it running particularly slowly? Some viruses can block spybot and stop it from running. Could just be a conflict though. Have you added any new software recently?

hello peeps,i seem to be having problems with my laptop(im running xp with sp2)i have fsecure and spybot as virus checkers have tried to do a virus check,using f secure and after a while it freezes and hangs,then try to use spybot and it runs for approx 10 mins then the laptop turns itself off,this is the first time ive had problems with the laptop in 18mths so i do not think there is any conflicts going on????have i got a virus???if any of you can be of help will be greatly appreciated.

regards gregers

This may be due to the laptop overheating. However it is quite new. If it is turning itself off, this is usually due to the built-in thermal protection stopping your laptop overheating and damaging itself. This might not be the solution, but check to make sure the air vents are clear.

Tony

Sponsored Links
As Tony says it could be overheating if, after 18 months the air vents have become clogged up. If the vents appear clear then download SuperAntiSpyware, install it and up date it.
Set a System Restore point.
Reboot your computer in Safe Mode so nothing is running and run a full scan with SAS. Let SAS remove everything it finds, and reboot in normal mode.

The name 'Laptop' is a stupid name and they are now called 'Notebooks' because to use them for any length of time sat on your lap will cause no end of heat problems because your clothing blocks the air intakes.
dave

Back