Would appreciate some help and advice please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's been a while since I last visited, 'DIYNOT' now though I've got a bit of a problem which hopefully someone can suggest something.
As I enter my front door their is a small passage, in fact it's so small you would hardly call it a passage, but it has, including the front door, 4 doors leading off. I actually got round to tiling it with vinyl tiles, it looks great except for the thresholds. I went to b&q and bought , 'stikatak' threshold bars.
My problem is that their is various differences in each drop and the 'bars' I bought don't fit properly. Even with the different size plastic clip on pieces, it leaves a gap of at least half inch all the way along.
(only someone who is familiar with this design will understand what I'm talking about).
Which ever way I set these adjustments, I cant get rid of the gap, which anyone crossing the threshold, could easily trip on it, besides it looks horrible and considering they cost about £12.99 each and the b&q chap said they would be okay.
So because they didn't fit properly the way they were designed, I bought a large tube of, 'no more nails' adhesive' and I managed to get a really good fit. I allpied it as per instructions and left weights on it for 24 hours.
I could hardly believe it when it came loose as soon as I removed the weights. I honestly don't know what to do, I can't take them back because they've been cut, to size. I thought this adhesive was suppose to be very strong, but it wouldn't even stick plastic to vinyl.
The, 'Stickatack' fittings leaves the bars to 'seesaw' instead of sitting firmly. What is a good glue for sticking plastic onto vinyl tiled floor.

Sponsored Links
You don't glue down threshold bars, they need screwing down.

The 'Stikatak' floor threshold bars are not made to be screwed down, they come with a seperate piece which you peel off the strip of waxy paper and stick it to the floor, then the top part which you actually see, you snap it onto the strip thats stuck to the floor. Thats how it is suppose to go but you know how they make it look easy.
In fact my local B&Q must have had at least 90% 'Stikatak' like the ones I bought. The screw down strips are made of aluminum, or something similar .

Sponsored Links
put them in the bin where they belong and buy or make something that screws down. do not get advice from anyone that works in B&Q as they may not be the sharpest tool in the box.

You don't glue down threshold bars, they need screwing down.

The 'Stikatak' floor threshold bars are not made to be screwed down, they come with a seperate piece which you peel off the strip of waxy paper and stick it to the floor, then the top part which you actually see, you snap it onto the strip thats stuck to the floor. Thats how it is suppose to go but you know how they make it look easy.
In fact my local B&Q must have had at least 90% 'Stikatak' like the ones I bought. The screw down strips are made of aluminum, or something similar .
http://www.screwfix.com/p/stikatak-...ulti-height-37-x-900mm-dark-oak-effect/69848#
They don't make a floor that you could stick these too , you would still need to screw the base plate down.
Just because they make them like this doesn't mean they will work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back