Front door threshold come loose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently my front door has become increasingly hard to open and close. It was catching the stormguard attached to the threshold.

The wooden door was fitted at the same time as the threshold 2 years ago and fitted fine. At first I thought the bad weather had caused the wood to swell (Is this possible? It does need staining) closing the gap between the door and the stormguard. This has gone on for a month now and I was worried the door would be damaged due to the force required to open and close it so I removed the stormguard to investigate.

View media item 41516
View media item 41518
Permanantly removing the stormguard is not an option as there is about 1cm of daylight under the door when the stormguard is removed.

The threshold that the stormguard is attached to has come loose from 2 of its 3 fixings. I have attached photos.

View media item 41515
This shows one of the fixings. It appears that 2 pads were laid on the course of bricks and the threshold was attached to the pads using some sort of adhesive.

Is this a normal construction method?

My options are to reattach the threshold to the pads using adhesive and hope that this will give me back the 2-3mm needed for the door to clear the stormguard. What adhesive would I use?

Or remove the threshold and shave a few mm off it using a wood-planer before reattaching it. Either way, I'll give it a sand and apply a few coats of wood-stain to it.

Advice please?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back