Would this be permitted development?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening All,

R9CnIA6.jpg

this is how the front of my house currently looks. I possibly want to build a room in front of the garage that would be an enlarged entrance hallway and put a pitched roof on the both the new room and garage that would tie into the existing roof of the house, this would be kept under 2.4m tall. The garage would stay a garage but the door would be moved to the rear wall of the garage and the existing door bricked up.

rPekie1.jpg

that's a terrible paint drawing showing roughly what I mean. To the left of the current fence is a footpath and the fence marks the boundry for the property.

Thanks
Chris

Sponsored Links
Even though it’s technically a front/infill extension, you may be able to get away in calling it a side extension of which providing the eaves match existing and the overall height does not exceed 4m, then that would normally be considered PD. This may involve some demolition of the existing garage on the assumption it’s ‘original’?

It is the original 1971 garage, I assume the work you refer to may be for insulation reasons?

Thanks
Chris

The footpath at the side could be an issue. Could it be classed as a highway?

Also we could have quite a debate about which is the "principal elevation" although my money would be on the front gable elevation.

Finally there aren't any extensions at the back that join on to the garage?

Sponsored Links
No extensions on garage, if the fence just boarded next doors boundary would that then be pd?

The front wall of the new 'room' would be set back from the front elevation probably by 500mm if that helps

No it's a public footpath, I guess I need to add some more info as I didn't think it would matter. the picture is of my current house, we are negotiations to buy the end plot in our street which is exactly the same house just with more land.

In the new house the fence is the boundary line with a next door neighbour where as at our current house it is a public footpath.

I'm essentially trying to work out what i can do at the new house whilst I await planning permission for a big extension on the other side of the house.

If you’re carrying out a front infill extension, this would technically require Planning as you cannot add on a front extension under PD, unless it’s a porch. If the Garage was to be demolished, you could argue it’s a side extension (as there’d be no front wall your extending off from).

Ok, so if I 'demolished' the garage and built a whole new side extension it would be classed as permitted development even though I'm building right upto the border, and I need to keep the total height under 4m?

So if I was to build the infill that she wants, brick up the original garage door, add an inner wall and cavity to the garage exterior wall and refit a garage door to the rear wall and fit a new pitched roof to both parts tied into the existing roof no one would actually know it wasn't a full new extension built under pd?

Ok, so if I 'demolished' the garage and built a whole new side extension it would be classed as permitted development even though I'm building right upto the border, and I need to keep the total height under 4m?

Yes, providing it complies with the PD rules.

So if I was to build the infill that she wants, brick up the original garage door, add an inner wall and cavity to the garage exterior wall and refit a garage door to the rear wall and fit a new pitched roof to both parts tied into the existing roof no one would actually know it wasn't a full new extension built under pd?

When going in for Building Reg’s, they’ll know and it’ll only take them to notify Planning that could then cause you some issues. Or if you came to sell, it could be picked up then.

Are you aware of any restrictive covenants or conditions that prevent the garage from being converted under PD?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back