Would this work need certifying?

If the RCD was installed after the original cert was made, it will not be on the paper work. As your second electrician installed it.

Sponsored Links
PrenticeBoyofDerry
Yes, thats exactly what I want documented formally by a certified electrician, whether from my builder or elsewhere.

Taylortwocities
Are you suggesting that I only need the certificate for my keeping (to show that the work was done to standards) and that it does not need notifying?

PrenticeBoyofDerry
Yes, thats exactly what I want documented formally by a certified electrician, whether from my builder or elsewhere.
Your problem is that as I previously mentioned, you will be very lucky to find an electrician that is willing to self cert anothers work, without knowing it was installed safely at first fix.

Taylortwocities
Are you suggesting that I only need the certificate for my keeping (to show that the work was done to standards) and that it does not need notifying?

No the works are notifiable as they are a)in a spacial area ie the kitchen and
b) works to the consumer unit.

In the shell of a nut your builder is wrong, the extra works are notifiable and as such he shouldn't have used a non registered sparks.

BC will sign your job off as they will be unaware of the new works, whether you are satisfied that the second sparks work is up to scratch is another matter.

If you inform BC then they will then want either the extra works signed off(you may find that hard)or will charge you to inspect and test themselves(could be expensive as they will probably charge for a full test).

Sponsored Links
Thanks chappers and PrenticeBoyofDerry

Yes, I am well aware of the problem I am in now. I will get in touch with the builder again to see how he can help sort this out. Failing which I will speak to the building control inspector who approved the work.

Thanks again for all who've responded!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back