Would you be happy if your "Builder" did this?

Just loaded 2 more photo's onto album to prove that the fittings will be underground - note height of manhole to left.

Building control will pass it off as its underground and they won't be able to see what a bodge job it is.

Owner seems scared to tackle builder over quality/safety issues as he walks off job.

What concerns me is if there is an explosion and someone gets killed and I hadn't done anything about it.

Sponsored Links
The installation is ID and Riddor reportable, obviously the builder is an illegal worker, and must be stopped.

Where do the pipes come from/too, are they service pipes going into a meter, or coming from a meter, in which case what are they serving.

Hopefully the builder will walk off, just don't pay him.

But it must be reported for everyones safety. It is not a joke or funny.

This yellow gas pipe comes from the meter in the outside wall of house.

It comes out of the meter in copper,down to soil level where it joins the yellow plastic pipe with a copper elbow,runs 4 metres underground unsleeved,and up into the house as shown.

The builder i think is not of English descent and brings Indian labourers on a daily rate.They work to the standards expected in their native country but BC is supposed to monitor this.

I think this may not be unusual in many large cities.
What problems are we storing up for the future?

Sponsored Links
Why turn this into a racist thread??

I merely meant that someone who is here working illegally is hardly going to bother joining Corgi and learning how to do this job properly.

Just to be clear, I was visiting my friend who is originally from Ceylon,
so I resent the racist connotations!!

That may be the case Steve or not, but if you or the owners are not going to do anything, there's no real point in discussing it.

They are breaking the Law in this country, in your friends house.

Someone gets killed they will be on a slow boat to China and not give a damn.

Doitall,

I have sent my friend a link to this and told him to sort it out.
If he doesn't I will ring up myself.

I blame my friend as he took the cheapest quote.
I am tempted to say "You pay peanuts and get monkeys" but someone
will say thats racist too.

They definitely got the Monkeys and the Organ grinder as well.

to the OP

you say this is your friends new home. Is it a new build in an estate with another 40 odd homes......

or is it your friends plot of land, and he has got a builder to lob up a house?

Its an 80 year old terraced house on a busy street hence my worry.
Its having a total refurb.

popular thought being i have contracted a builder to build my extension/new build, therefore the builder is totally liable for any serious
Building Control defects.

Not so i`m afraid.

Your mate has got to take a bit of responsibility, ie all site employee`s are at least CSCS carded.
PAYE or SE is also to be taken into consideration.

but as you have already hinted at " pay peanuts expect monkeys "

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back