Would you be happy if your "Builder" did this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Visited a friend in London and he showed me round his new house.
I took a picture of this new gas connection his builder arranged.
They look like ordinary compression fittings to me.

Took this picture on a Saturday.

View media item 13820
Builder was coming round on Sunday to fill the hole in as surprise,surprise the building inspector was coming round on Monday.

What do you think??

Sponsored Links
I would suggest your pal get in touch with Gas Safe people pronto. Also contact Transco to make installation safe.

dont look good to me, get them both checked by the appropriate suppliers/authorities.

Gas fitter can't be certain if the fittings are suitable by photo alone. Approved compression fitting are acceptable as long as they are always accessible for maintenance.

That is, the fittings you showed should never be buried or boxed in. Can't see the wife wanting those pipes hanging out of the wall.

Sponsored Links
Apparently he checked they didn't leak with fairy liquid and no this is not a wind up.
Pipes have been filled in, buried in soil and rubble and is now underground.
I thought gas fittings were yellow and plastic.(Philmac)

Its none of my business really but if the house blew up and I never mentioned it I would feel awful.

if the "picture" is buried then the compression fittings are not suitable as this would not be accessible, if it's not buried then the pipe should not be plastic - its wrong either way.

Let me see now.

Water pipe not deep enough.

Water pipe not the minimum distance from the gas pipe.

No sleeving on either pipe.

Yellow gas pipe is only suitable for below ground, unless it's protected from UV.

Plastic gas pipe, must not be use in the building.

Fittings not lagged with denso tape or similar.

Water should enter the building and maintain the 750mm minimum cover.

No marker tape on either service.

I'm sure there's lots more if we had the information.

Used a hacksaw and not the proper cutter.

agree with everything that doitall has said but dont think there is a minimum seperation gas to water, just either to electric
i may be wrong but i have never seen copper compression fitting used on PE gas pipe all the fittings i have used have been plastic or iron and specifically designed for gas

agree with everything that doitall has said but dont think there is a minimum seperation gas to water, just either to electric
i may be wrong but i have never seen copper compression fitting used on PE gas pipe all the fittings i have used have been plastic or iron and specifically designed for gas

kev you beat me to it, the 2 points you have raised were exactly what i thought, i have never fitted the yellow pipe but have seen it many times and only ever with a transitional fitting to take it to steel or copper, i would AR this job (but would do my best to get permission to disconnect and cap cause it scares me :eek: )

I.D. and RIDDOR.

Plastic pipe exposed above ground, inappropriate jointing method (manufacturer of this pipe does not allow these compression fitting has to be their own specific appropriate fittings compression or fusion), not sleeved through wall.
This is a total bodge of a job, guy obviously isnt compertant and registered.
Seriously more needs to be done about this type of stuff ring transco and report the installation.

Yellow gas pipe is supposed to contaminate the blue poly.

Think you'll find it in one of the approved docs on service pipes.

A minimum of 300mm to the left or right of the water pipe in the vertical plain, and 400mm in the diagonal, and both services must be covered with sand and marker tape at 150mm above.

You can buy DZR fittings for gas, which is most certainly what has been used, as the size will be different, e.g. 20mm and 25mm.

Incidentally that fitting going into the wall on the gas pipe looks like a cap end. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back